Senior Software Engineer
Signal is looking for a Senior Software Engineer who knows Java and/or Go to work with big data on a distributed system. You’ll be solving huge problems on a small team in our Chicago HQ office. If you want to join a high-performing engineering team full of awesome people (who doesn’t?), you should keep reading.
So, what would you be doing?
- Design practical solutions to solve problems. Write great code. Stay ahead technically. Participate in code reviews, testing.
- Provide the technology for a platform that facilitates billions of requests monthly.
- Working with big data and predictive analytics on a distributed system.
- Collaborate. You'll be working with everyone—dev team, product owners, client services, to innovate and get stuff done.
- Provide back-end connectivity solutions.
- Work to help us be the best team we can be by promoting great architectural practices, improving process and always wanting to learn more.
- Mentor junior developers
- Participate in Hack Week, Shark Week, demo days. Have fun and experience life at a growing tech company.
A few reasons we’re excited to come to work every day
“Building a distributed Jenkins system, running multiple workers on multiple platforms, to not only run front-end and back-end unit tests, but to also create a pooled set of services to run per developer for long duration, integration and behavior tests.” –John (engineer)
“We're switching from using Mongo for storing pending messages to Kafka. The cool part about this is we're going from mongo's do-anything architecture to a stream-based architecture. This means we can scale a lot easier. Once we roll this out is we go from ~5k messages/sec to 200k+ messages/sec on a quarter the hardware cost.” – Cliff (engineering manager)
What we need from you
- Extensive programming experience required in Java and/or GO languages.
- Technical skills. You have experience working in large code bases and engineering features that are secure, scalable and highly available.
- You’re the type of engineer who likes an impromptu whiteboard session to help others solve their problems.
- Sense of curiosity and desire to always be learning.
- Deep experience in HTTP, REST, API design and SOA.
- You are smart and amazing, but your ego doesn't require you to be the only smart and amazing person on your team.
- You are comfortable using source control (Git).
- Commitment to testing, code reviews.
- A strong preference for open source technologies is a must.
In addition to the specifics of this job, we’re looking for Signalites that fall in love with new ideas, can’t stop learning, and are pretty nice, too. You understand that even the most fun kind of work is work, consider putting in the hours as an obvious necessity, and easily deal with change. You think well beyond what is asked of you, and live and breathe the minutiae of the work.
What’s in it for you:
You will work with others who value culture and treating one another like adults. To support this we offer a competitive salary/bonus with great benefits, like: unlimited PTO, 401k, health/dental/vision, STD/LTD, snacks, parental leave, Hack Weeks, great colleagues.
How to apply:
Interested? Well, send your resume to us via the link below. The company and team we’re building is important to us, so include a note explaining what you’ve been doing and why you’d make a great addition to our team. Be yourself. We will only respond to people who meet qualifications and on whom we develop a professional crush.
Signal is the first and only Customer Identity Solution for the enterprise. Signal’s platform offers an independent identity solution for brands that transforms the customer experience by connecting an always-active profile to customer engagements across all human, physical, and digital touchpoints.
Today, Signal’s technology runs on more than 45,000 digital properties in 158 countries. The platform facilitates billions of data requests monthly, supporting top brands around the world that generate more than $1.5 trillion in commerce, including Allstate, Audi, Crate & Barrel, JetBlue Airways, Starcom MediaVest Group, Starwood Hotels and Resorts, and many more.
Signal has been recognized with numerous awards and honors, including being named one of the fastest growing companies on the 2015, 2016, & 2017 Inc. 500 lists. Visit www.signal.co to learn more and follow Signal on LinkedIn, YouTube and Twitter.
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Information
Individuals seeking employment at Signal are considered without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.