Senior Software Engineer at Jellyvision
We here at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX®, an interactive employee communications platform that happens to share some DNA (and a sense of humor) with the smash-hit trivia video game YOU DON’T KNOW JACK®, created by Jellyvision's founder. ALEX makes navigating tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits or improving your financial wellness—easier, faster, and more helpful, not to mention entertaining. The success of the ALEX platform has exceeded our wildest dreams, (except for the part right before we woke up where our mom was riding a giraffe), which is why we need talented folks like you to help us help ALEX take over the world…er…continue to grow and succeed.
SO WHAT'S THIS JOB ABOUT?
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team at Jellyvision. We're a "right tool for the job" company, not an [insert language here] shop, so while software engineering experience is a must, expertise in a specific language is not. Just be ready to join our merry band of polyglots!
Whether you got your start with a Computer Science degree, attending a boot camp, or by writing code on the side, you've got solid software engineering fundamentals and know how to write well-designed, reliable, and maintainable code (and you love doing it). You care about code quality, identifying and solving problems, and making sure they stay solved by writing tests.
Ideally, you should have expertise building web applications, not just web pages. Whether you've focused on the frontend, backend, or the whole shebang, we want to talk to you! We're looking for engineers of all stripes that are enthusiastic about learning new technologies and skills.
WHAT KIND OF TECHNICAL SKILLS SHOULD I HAVE? YOU KNOW, LANGUAGES AND SUCH…?
- Collaboration: Giving and receiving constructive code review feedback should feel like home to you. Working with product managers, designers and other folks besides engineers is also a huge part of the role.
- Testing: You should be the kind of person who tests their code as a part of writing it, whether that's TDD-style or writing them after the fact. You should know your way around a testing framework or two.
- Databases: You should have some experience with a relational database. ORMs are great, experience writing raw SQL is even better.
- Source Control: Working without Source Control should be blasphemy to you. Experience developing software with Git, especially familiarity with git-flow, is helpful.
- Docker: Our local environments use Docker. It's not necessary, but Docker skills are a plus!
- DevOps: We use AWS heavily at Jellyvision, and though we have experts in that area, it's a bonus to have DevOps skills.
WHAT ABOUT NON-TECHNICAL SKILLS?
Jellyvision isn’t just engineers! You’ll be working closely with other teams: designers, product owners, writers, producers – you get the idea. That means you’ll find yourself talking about technical concepts with smart people who don’t have engineering backgrounds, and that you’ll need to be able to listen when they teach you about their disciplines too.
We're looking for seasoned engineers - the total length of your work history isn't the most important thing for us but ideally you've got 4+ years of relevant experience.
ARE THERE ANY PERKS? Yes, we love perks.
- Competitive pay, 401(k) with matching and benefits. We pay 100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for our employees (as long as you qualify for our tobacco-free discount; if you’re a tobacco user, your medical premiums will be higher than $0). We also cover a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for spouse/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, whatever, like everyone else here.
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of intelligent, talented and innovative folks. Although most hours the place is deathly quiet (we're a focused bunch), this is punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment, which makes a nice way to spend the day.
- Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with free healthy snack foods, and we have a catered lunch every other week to give people a reason to hang out and eat together.
- Easy transportation and lots of love for folks who bike to work. We’re really close to the North/Clybourn red line stop and the Halsted (#8) bus (right by the Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods too), and we have a transit FSA that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses. A number of our employees like to bike to work, so we also have bike storage, showers and lockers in the office. And for those without their own bike in the city, we offer free divvy memberships – complete with Jellyvision bike helmets you can borrow from the office.
- Did we mention our yoga class? We bring a pro instructor right to the office. Fully subsidized by Jellyvision and fully optional, btw.
- Oh! And we have a massage chair. Not just any massage chair, my friend. It’s the HumanTouch HT 5320 WholeBody™ Massage Chair. Feeling a little stiff? Sit down. Relax. Feel better? Good. Okay, back to work.