Senior Software Engineer at Morningstar
The Managed Portfolios Technical Operations team works primarily to support Morningstar’s Turnkey Asset Management Platform (TAMP) which is used by thousands of investment advisors. The team provides solutions to technical issues involving the TAMP website and associated processes which load data, create investment advisor pdf reports, research client issues, and support our Trading systems. The Tech Ops team's goal is to resolve issues quickly, to learn the root cause of issues and document them, and to create/improve systems to either prevent future recurrences of the same issues, or to provide tools so that Ops Team members can provide resolutions directly.
- Provide excellent customer service by responding to and efficiently resolving client/service desk issues involving data inconsistency, working closely with Client Service/Operations team.
- Define, track, and maintain standard baselines and configuration sets of all managed and/or monitored database instances and servers and implement industry best practices with regards to the following:
- Provide excellent pro-active, real-time monitoring of database, detecting any issues and making sure they are fixed or escalated.
- Work with Development teams to assist in testing and deployment of new software/updates.
- Diagnose and correct errors for example in data integrity or application configuration.
- Creating and updating documentation.
- Database resource allocation and monitoring
- Performance problem identification and resolution assistance
- Clustering, replication, log shipping, mirroring and Always On Availability Groups
- Data security and recovery
- Data and database health practices
- Patch management, and System capacity planning.
- Develop and maintain storage strategies, establishing system documentation and database recovery processing.
- Identify and initiate resolutions to user problems associated with database performance and database capacity, utilizing best practices to maximize up time and server utilization.
- Support web application development, with a focus on helping the team interact with the database in the most efficient and productive way possible
- Review and deploy the database components for new versions of web applications/products to test and production environments using release management practices.
- Partner with DBA team to provide support in non-business hours
- Maintain/develop/enhance Support Tools using C# .Net and other MS technologies
- Perform ad hoc data queries to support customer and business needs
- Responsible for DR tests on regular basis
- A bachelor`s degree in computer science or related field with a specialization in relational database management systems.
- Five or more years of experience in database administration using SQL Server 2005, 2008, 2008R2, 2012, and 2014 technologies.
- Strong performance tuning skills in a very large database environment
- Ability to trace (using Profiler or Extended Events) and analyze results, then to recommend options for problem resolution
- Proficient with Transact-SQL (T-SQL)
- Experience with SQL Server DTS, SSIS and SSRS components
- Expertise with maintaining SQL servers using NetApp SAN and in Virtual environment
- Experience with database encryption and backup/recovery methodologies
- Experience in SQL Server High Availability technologies like Mirroring, Replication, Log Shipping and SQL Server 2012 Always On Availability Groups
- Experience with other DB technologies like MySQL, Amazon RDS, Postgres or mongodb is a plus.
- Must have superior problem-solving skills with extremely high levels of initiative and assertiveness.
- Must have very strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with the ability to deal effectively with customers, peers and management.
- 3 years of experience with C# .Net
- Must be able to organize work efficiently and work well under stress, changing priorities, and time constraints