Senior Technical Lead - New Startup, PEAK6 Entity
A new startup in Peak6 is changing the face of investing. We believe that the promises of many financial technology companies have fallen short—too many people are still living paycheck-to-paycheck, not saving enough for retirement, and not benefiting from the historic gains of the stock market. We want to change that. Our mission is to empower a new generation of investors who have been neglected—and even taken advantage of—by existing services. Headquartered in Chicago, this startup combines the financial acumen of one of the nation’s most successful trading firms with the technical expertise of the platform trusted by the world’s most sophisticated investors. The details of our plans are still under wraps, but we’re looking for people who are inspired by creating a more inclusive financial system for all, and who thrive in tackling audacious goals.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Managing and/or building complex applications, preferably using Java and related technologies, and have experience in the financial services technology space.
- Ramping up quickly on our business and understand its needs in order to correctly prioritize and direct all development efforts
- Knowing the skills, strengths and weaknesses of the team in order to efficiently and successfully execute all the development projects.
- Coaching and growing the development and management skills on the team, and recognize and hire great talent.
- Motivating the team to success and help make a fun and rewarding place to work.
- Creatively approaching lifecycle management so that the development process is constantly improving in order to match the needs of the business.
- Getting things done. Quickly catch issues in development and know who to connect to keep things running efficiently and moving in the right direction
- Hands on management experience
- 10 + years of hands-on development
- Strong proficiency and in-depth understanding of at least one of our core languages and frameworks
- Ability to learn new and unfamiliar technologies quickly, as required
- Server-side: Ruby (microservices), Java, C++, Elixir/Phoenix
- Infrastructure: Chef, Terraform (occasionally as needed)
- Hands on experience with complex project management