Hi, we’re Rheaply 👋
Over the past year, the world has cultivated a new sense of appreciation for everyday stuff. With global supply chains collapsing and operating budgets shrinking across the board, we have seen the demand for goods and services skyrocket. The obvious solution to being more resourceful and cost-conscious has been to increase the value of everything already around us. At Rheaply, we’re helping organizations do that by developing better inventory management and resource sharing tools. Although rewarding, this problem is not ours alone to solve, which is why we need extraordinary talented people like you to join our team. While we’re also excited to one day meet in person (and hopefully soon!), we are ready to conduct our entire interviewing and onboarding process remotely.
Founded in 2016, Rheaply, Inc. is a Chicago-based technology company focused on solutions for making organizations more efficient, sustainable, and connected. Rheaply has developed and launched the only exchange technology for researchers to share their ideas and surplus resources with colleagues to reduce time, costs, as well as environmental waste. On Rheaply’s Asset Exchange Manager (AxM), users from all departments can access resources and expertise from colleagues in the same organization or beyond. Recently, Rheaply has been featured in The New York Times, Nature, VERGE, and Greenbiz, chosen as a 10 Big Idea in Innovation by Chicago Magazine, a Circular Economy Solver by MIT SOLVE, and received the 2019 Sustainable Procurement Leadership (SPLC) Award for Circular Economy Leadership among other notable awards and recognitions.
As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer at Rheaply, you’ll be making an impact on the world by making our efforts to increase reuse and reduce waste more available than ever! You’ll be a part of a close cross functional team. You’ll have ownership on, and the freedom to make, critical infrastructure decisions. You’ll have the opportunity to facilitate the development of many services and your strong development experience will allow you to join in on the fun as you like and/or where needed! Please note this post will remain open until the role is filled; that start date is as soon as possible.
What You’ll Do
- You will work closely with product engineering teams to productionalize services through configuration management, monitoring, alerting, and documentation.
- You will support the entire software development life cycle across all applications and services within Rheaply.
- You will optimize performance and use your creativity to find optimal solutions to issues across our stack, including software, application, and network.
- You will identify and drive opportunities to improve automation for the company by identifying toil and eliminating it.
- You will be a leader in design reviews and operational readiness exercises for all of our services.
- You will improve and extend our Infrastructure as Code and be the owner of our Cloud infrastructure and presence.
- You will use your knowledge around service reliability, resiliency, and security to help advance our efforts towards FedRAMP authorization/s.
- You will define Service-Level Objectives and develop Service-Level Indicators to help ensure we meet our Service-Level Agreements.
- You will work on an exceptional team that is passionate about product, elegant technology solutions, and improving our world!
Who You Are
- You have 5+ years of experience in Software Engineering, Site Reliability Engineering, or a Development focused DevOps role.
- You have strong working knowledge of Linux.
- You have extensive experience with automation software such as Terraform, ansible, etc.
- You have extensive experience in one or more of the following: Kubernetes, ECS, Fargate, Docker, or other container and orchestration technologies.
- You have extensive experience with AWS, with exposure to GCP and/or Azure.
- You have extensive exposure to web application development and have worked around backend systems with heavy service to service network communication.
- You are familiar with RESTful APIs and have had exposure to alternatives such as gRPC, GraphQL etc.
- You have experience with Kafka, NATs and/or other distributed message processing technologies, along with the options available within AWS.
- You have experience with ElasticSearch.
- You love to measure and observe things and have worked with/on tools related to recording and monitoring metrics, logging, and checking service health.
- You have strong knowledge of SQL databases, such as PostgreSQL, experience tuning queries, and exposure to one or more NoSQL databases.
- You have a professional curiosity and a desire to develop a deep understanding of services and technologies you work with and to teach those around you.
- A scrappy, motivated team player able to lead and contribute to a diverse set of knowledge and backgrounds.
- A builder who is able to pivot to the needs of a growing business and culture.
- Curious, research focused and ready to learn.
- Living Rheaply’s Core Values. (see below)
At Rheaply, we envision a world where all assets and resources are highly visible, searchable, and reusable. Oh, and we love what we do, like, really love what we do. So, join us today to help us achieve our mission!
Rheaply’s Core Values
At Rheaply, we thrive to provide the most seamless experience for our AxM users, enabling our client organizations to achieve full utilization of their assets, thereby reducing costs and waste by keeping valuable resources in circulation. As a team, we pledge to execute our work in accordance with our seven Core Values.
- We Listen To and Delight Our Users -- Our users are our most important stakeholders. We strive to provide the most seamless user experience and value to our users across client organizations. We do our best to have empathy for their problems and challenges. We listen to users’ feedback and provide timely responses to questions and needs.
- We Encourage Individual Team Member Growth, Innovation, And Happiness -- Our people are our most valuable assets. Rheaply’s success is dependent upon the collective drive, intelligence, curiosities and contributions of all of our team members. We care for the wellbeing of each team member and ensure that they have the support and mentorship they need to succeed at Rheaply and beyond.
- We Value Transparency, Humility, and Open Communication -- The key determinant to our successful market execution is our ability to communicate and share successes, learnings, insights, struggles, and solutions across our teams. At Rheaply, we strive to cultivate a culture of intelligence with humility. We care about hearing each member’s voice and understanding his or her unique perspective.
- We Care About Our Communities And The Environment -- Rheaply is driven by the mission to reduce our environmental footprint and accelerate our transition to a circular economy. We strive to live by our mission of promoting environmental awareness and waste reduction in our decisions and actions at Rheaply and beyond.
- We Promote A Collaborative Culture of Learning and Problem-Solving -- Rheaply is committed to finding straightforward solutions to complex problems. We are constantly learning from each other, from our clients, and from our competitors. We strive to understand problems at the microscopic level and become industry experts in building, deploying, and iterating sustainable, circular solutions.
- We Are Tenacious and We Own Our Work -- At Rheaply, we are dedicated to enabling the transition to a more circular world. We are relentless about our mission and vision. We hold ourselves accountable for our words and actions, both internally and in the market.
- We Strive To Be Helpful -- We view all the work we do at Rheaply as daily, non-stop efforts to help and support each other, our clients, our users, our partners, and our shared environment.
In addition, Rheaply, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of our activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, interns, volunteers, subcontractors.