Service Reliability Engineer – Cloud/DevOps at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
Service Reliability Engineers (SREs) are a hybrid of systems and software engineers who are responsible for scaling, automation, and production issue support for applications. SRE’s have an intense passion for finding and improving efficiencies with infrastructure, development and deployment automation. As a SRE, you` will lead the efforts of application deployment, reliability, scalability, availability and performance alongside the engineering and infrastructure teams. Site Reliability Engineers will work closely with our Software Development & Engineering teams to build mature, production-ready services and applications. As part of the SRE team, you will help define our standards for monitoring, alerting, scalability, and production-readiness. You will monitor and report on the uptime of our systems and services, the performance of our applications, and the capacity of our platform.
The SRE is responsible for the provisioning, benchmarking, tuning, and improving the end to end customer experience for our Payment Services platforms. In our industry where millions of dollars move every day and milliseconds count in every transaction you are always looking for ways to ensure our customers get the best response time. You will also be deeply involved in system roadmap planning and release management activities as well. Overall, you will become a rock star subject matter expert on the operation of these world class core systems powering our great Fortune 300 Company (which really operates like a startup). You will promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
How You’ll Do It:
Operational stability and performance
- Work with other members of their assigned value stream to ensure that in-scope applications/platforms are meeting performance and stability requirements. This includes managing major incidents to mitigation/resolution.
- Supports and maintains software installations and hardware systems - lifecycle management, change management, request management and incident management.
- Designs and tests vended software and non-vended solutions.
- Consults with customer base to gather requirements for solution set.
- Control application code deployment servers and code deployment methods
- Design and architect operational solutions for managing applications and infrastructure, with the specific goal of increasing the automation, repeatability, and consistency of operational tasks.
- Self manages the effort split between operational work and engineering work
- Perform post-incident reviews of all major incidents and determine action items required to avoid similar issues/minimize downtime for future incidents.
- Lead and participate in performance tests, identifies the bottlenecks, opportunities for optimization and capacity demands
- Analyze and participate in periodic on-call duties to prevent, solve and automate the response to problems in mission critical services and automated deployments
- Partnering with security engineers and developing plans and automation to aggressively and safely respond to new risks and vulnerabilities.
- Works closely with plan, build, run and infrastructure teams to support key business applications.
- Works closely with senior staff for process improvements and automation opportunities
Monitors and metrics:
- Work with Application Development to ensure that assigned applications/platforms have appropriate monitoring and metrics in place to appropriately measure performance and stability.
- Monitor and report on SLA/SLO for a given applications services. Work with business and product owners to establish key performance indicators.
- Create and maintain monitoring technologies and processes that improve the visibility to our applications' performance and business metrics and keep operational workload reasonable.
- Defines and drives adoption of a best in class monitoring frameworks to accomplish end to end application or service monitoring and noiseless alerting end application or service monitoring and noiseless alerting with proper telemetry
Identify functional and non-functional improvements:
- Act as the Operations representative in value stream planning and prioritize sessions to ensure that operational needs of assigned applications/platforms are addressed as needed. Hold quarterly operational performance reviews with value stream management.
Release planning and coordination:
- Work with other members of his/her assigned value stream to ensure that the production releases for their in scope applications/platforms are properly planned and coordinated. This includes Holds Change/Release implementation reviews to ensure thorough and appropriate implementation plans.
- Work with Release Manager and development teams to deploy software releases
Review and sign-off/approval of change tickets for the assigned value stream:
- Represent the value stream at Change Advisory Board Meetings.
- Participate in Program Increment Planning Sessions as a liaison for Operations and Infrastructure support.
- Provide information regarding upcoming critical changes to the value stream.
- Control application log collection and analysis - Automate processes and systems configuration/deployment
- Ensure that applications/platforms in the value stream are operationally ready for production. This includes Annual Review of all SOPs/knowledge articles.
- Monitor review for any new feature launch or other significant change that may impact monitoring.
- Review SOP/knowledge article for any new feature launch or other significant change that may impact support documentation. Train Command Center and Application 1st level
- Support on new SOPs, knowledge articles, and any other support-related needs.
- Perform monthly capacity analysis of applications/platforms within the value stream. Create and maintain operationally focused ELK dashboards for the value stream.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in business, computer information systems, computer science, MIS, engineering, science, or related field
- 2+ years of experience in information technology, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 4+ years of experience in Information Technology, or related field
Bonus Points If You Have
- At least 5 years of experience in software engineering
- 2 years of coding experience using strongly typed language Java, Golang
- 2 years of experience in SRE, DevOps, or similar role
- 2 years of experience with scripting languages like Python / Bash
- Experience in DevOps skills and methodologies - Create and manage a continuous build, integration, test, and deployment systems
- Proficient in monitoring, alerting, analyzing and troubleshooting large scale distributed systems
- Experience with clustering technologies - high availability, resiliency and horizontal scaling.
- Good understanding of defining and executing High Availability, Disaster Recovery, Sustained Resiliency, Chaos Engineering tests
- Familiar with design principles of monitoring and alerting systems
- Familiar with OS tuning, optimization and system requirements for vertical scaling
- Ability to enhance and maintain complex software components and distributed systems.
- Understanding of networking concepts and experience with HTTP protocol
- Deep knowledge of distributed pub-sub message systems
- Proficiency in one or more general purpose programming languages: Python, Go, shell scripting (Unix/Linux), Java
- Automation tools experience such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible. Developing monitoring tools and log analysis tools to manage operations
- Continued curiosity regarding new technologies and evolving best practices
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.