Site Reliability Engineer - Restaurant
About The Opportunity
GrubHub Holdings Inc. is the nation's leading online and mobile food-ordering company dedicated to connecting hungry diners with local takeout restaurants. The GrubHub Holdings Inc. portfolio of brands includes GrubHub, Seamless, MenuPages and Allmenus. The company's online and mobile ordering platforms allow diners to order directly from thousands of takeout restaurants across the country and London, and every order is supported by the company's 24/7 customer service. GrubHub Holdings Inc. has offices in Chicago, New York City and London.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
With a career at GrubHub Holdings Inc., you can order your cake and eat it, too!
My name is Jeff and I’m one of the Systems Engineers at Grubhub. We’re looking for a few more talented systems engineers to join our team and help us improve our infrastructure, tools and metrics. Rather than the normal HR style of job description, we thought it be best if you heard it from someone performing the role on a daily basis.
HOW WE WORK
Grubhub is changing the way we get work done. We’re assembled into small, entrepreneurial type of teams that are designed to be self-sufficient. As a System Engineer on one of these teams, it’s our job to provide the supporting infrastructure, infrastructure automation as well as systems design knowledge to the team. You’ll be supporting your team’s development, pre-production and production environments.
The teams practice AGILE/Scrum, so the Systems Engineer will participate in the team’s stand-up and sprint planning meetings. In addition to this, you’ll spend 20% of your time per week working with the other SEs to finish common systems related projects.
TOOLS WE WORK WITH
One of my driving factors when I look at a new opportunity are the tools in the ecosystem. Below is a list of some of the tools we’re either currently using or have made the decision to use and will begin implementing shortly, hopefully with your help.
- Puppet for configuration management
- Ansible for task orchestration
- Linux (CentOS, Ubuntu), Apache HTTPD, Tomcat, Flask
- Bash, Python, Ruby, Java
- CollectD, ELK Stack, Splunk, DataDog
- vSphere, AWS
- MySQL, Cassandra, Couchbase
- Stash/Git, Confluence, Jira, Jenkins
- Mac, Linux or Windows. (We won’t judge you if you run Windows….much)
HOW WE THINK ABOUT WORK
We have a few favorite sayings or slogans that help us guide the way we work not just for new projects, but also as we begin to retrofit some legacy applications. Here are some sayings you’ll hear around the team. (None of these were invented at Grubhub)
- YAGNI (You Ain’t Gonna Need It)
- DRY (Don’t Repeat Yourself)
- “If it moves, we track it. Sometimes we’ll draw a graph of something that isn’t moving yet, just in case it decides to make a run for it.”
- Make it work, make it right, make it fast, make it small. In that order. An imperfect tool in production is more useful than a perfect tool still in development.
- Try something different. If it sucks, throw it out and try again.
You Should Have
WHAT WE THINK ABOUT EACH OTHER
Even though the SEs are embedded in their own teams, we still work together quite a bit and have a lot of fun doing it. We have a standing happy hour meeting every week just to catch up, decompress and hang out. We share book, movie, anime and beer recommendations all the time. It really is a good group to work with.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Someone with a passion for learning
- Someone gutsy who isn’t afraid to try new things
- Someone who is comfortable failing, learning and trying again
- Someone who is data obsessed.
- Someone with an automation mindset.
- Someone who hates black boxes
- Linux experience
- Proficient in a high level scripting language
- Continuous Integration Knowledge
- Experience with RDBMs and NoSQL implementations
- Knowledge of distributed systems design and constraints
We’ve got a lot of challenges ahead of us and a lot of really awesome things we intend to get done. If you’re looking for a new challenge and want to join an awesome team, we’d love to hear from you. Thanks
And Of Course, Perks!
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent.
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly GrubHub/Seamless credit.
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more.
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. Grubhub is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information