Site Reliability Engineer - Ruby on Rails at Flexport (Chicago, IL)
We are reinventing global trade.
Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients and suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B from investors that include the Founders Fund, Google Ventures, First Round Capital, Bloomberg Beta, Y Combinator, Wells Fargo, & Softbank.
With offices on three continents, our team is as global as our client base and we’re excited to continue building a product and service they love. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with committed, encouraging, and resourceful team members.
Flexport is looking for Site Reliability Engineers to help Flexport establish itself as the most trusted company in the global trade ecosystem. Our SREs are responsible for creating a culture of reliability through the proactive development of services that make our engineering and IT teams do their jobs better.
What you’ll do:
- Write lots of code to enhance the reliability of Ruby on Rails and Java-based services in our production ecosystem.
- Establish and maintain monitoring capabilities that track service availability, capacity, and performance across our production environments.
- Develop SLOs in partnership with product and engineering to influence velocity and service reliability.
- Drive the incident management program and build a blameless post-mortem culture.
- Improve upon change management processes to limit the impact of bad changes, quickly and accurately detect problems, and ensure safe roll-back and recovery.
- Partner with development teams to improve testing and release procedures.
- Advise product teams in system design, platform management, and capacity planning.
- Create sustainable systems and services through automation and uplifts.
What you’ll need:
- 5+ years of SRE/DevOps experience in a fast-paced global environment.
- 3+ years software development experience and proficiency in Ruby on Rails with hands-on experience debugging and optimizing code in a production environment.
- 3+ years of experience with developer tools, including source code management, CI/CD pipelines, and automation with Infrastructure as Code (CloudFormation, Terraform, etc).
- 3+ years of experience with Linux server and container-based infrastructure.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with AWS. Experience with other clouds is a plus.
- 3+ years experience with commercial or open-source infrastructure monitoring solutions.
- Experience with Kubernetes, relational and non-relational databases.
- Excellence in problem-solving, strategic thinking, and collaboration with cross-functional teams.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
Where you’ll work:
Our flagship office is on Market Street in San Francisco, but we also have engineering teams working out of our locations in Bellevue and Chicago. Remote work is also possible from CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, NJ, NY, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA. As a truly global company, we don’t let geography slow us down. We rotate hack-a-thons and move Flexporters all around the world.
Investing your time with Flexport means having immediate impact, all over the world. You’re empowered to do what’s best for everyone and trusted to make the right decisions when and where you need them. Join our collective of entrepreneurs and improve the world’s experience in global trade.
Culture & Values
- Learn more at www.keyvalues.com/flexport
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.