Site Reliability Engineer
PowerReviews works with more than 1,000 global brands and retailers to increase conversion and improve products and the customer experience with ratings and reviews and Q&A software. Ratings and reviews solutions from PowerReviews are essential for consumers as they search and shop online and in-store, and they are proven to increase online site-wide sales up to 17%.
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will join a super-talented team of ops-focused engineers that delivers world class cloud-based infrastructure to support our global customer base. Your team will own the cloud infrastructure and design/build automated frameworks for code delivery to test and production environments. This includes planning for growth, analyzing and fixing problems in real time, and designing and implementing secure networks.
- Design and build the architecture to run PowerReviews applications
- Work closely with dev teams to build highly available, cost effective systems
- Own all cloud infrastructure:
- Design and launch CloudFormation stacks in AWS, relying on Puppet, Ruby, and Linux
- Create and harden custom Linux AMI’s
- Manage various AWS services that we use including; DynamoDB, Redshift, SQS, VPC, EC2, S3, CloudFormation, ECR/ECS
- Support and transition Rackspace platforms to AWS
- Design the build, test and release frameworks for various technologies
- Create new tools and scripts designed for auto-remediation of incidents
- Write well documented and tested code intended for automated execution
- Design platforms for extremely high uptime metrics
- Implement log storage, monitoring, alerting and metrics gathering
- Own the security posture of the platforms
- Fully understand the application interactions
- Participate in an on-call rotation
Requirements and Preferred Skills
- 4+ years of experience in site reliability, systems engineering, devops, or systems architecture on a high volume platform
- Expert level Linux engineering skills
- Experience with a majority of the following tools: Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Ruby, Python, Tomcat, Java, PostgreSQL, BASH scripting, service oriented architecture, public/private APIs, SSO, Git, Docker
- Advanced, expert level knowledge of the Amazon Web Services platform. You should have built complex AWS implementations before.
- Past experience writing automation tools
- A strong understanding of what lies below application level abstractions
- Mastery of documentation and diagramming
- Thorough comprehension of networking, firewalls, load balancers, IPV4, security standards
- Ability to hand-off platforms to Systems Engineers to run
- Strong communicator: able to effectively work with remote engineers
- A pragmatic approach to architecture and problem solving
- Lifelong learner, not afraid to take on new technologies
Our Tech Stack
At PowerReviews we use lots of open source software and use Amazon Web Services (almost) exclusively. Our current stack consists of Linux, Java, Tomcat, Nginx, PostgreSQL, MySQL, ElasticSearch, React.js, Docker, and some Ruby on Rails. In AWS we make use of EC2, DynamoDB, RDS, Redshift, Elastic Beanstalk, S3, Elasticache, (both Redis and Memcached), Elastic Map Reduce, and Cloudfront. Other stuff we use includes Sumologic, Datadog, Selenium, and Packer.
Transparency: Transparency in communication drives trust.
Accountability: We hold each other accountable to execute and improve.
Learning: Continuously learn new skills to find your super power.
Collaborating: Collaborate with colleagues, customers, and partners to win.
Celebrating: Celebrate the wins and share our success.
PowerReviews is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.