Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) at Kin Insurance
Kin is the home insurance company For Every New Normal. Because of our proprietary technology and direct-to-consumer model, we provide affordable pricing without compromising coverage, even in areas most impacted by climate change. We’re proud to offer fully digital homeowners insurance with an elegant user experience, accurate pricing, and fast, high-quality claims service.
We are also proud to be recognized as Built In’s 2021 Best Midsize Companies to Work For in Chicago and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in America. We are growing super fast, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to help lead the way.
So, what’s the role?
The QA Engineer will be central to our software development and deployment process, primarily responsible for writing and executing test plans, manual testing, and running and interpreting results of automated tests. This person will collaborate closely with software development and product management teams, as well as stakeholders to ensure adherence to Kin’s strategic goals while managing risk.
A day in the life could include:
- Write and execute test plans to ensure development outputs meet acceptance criteria, technical specifications, and product goals
- Document software defects in bug tracking system, monitor bug resolutions, and verify fixed defects
- Investigate, test, and debug complex insurance related and software issues
- Participate in troubleshooting and triaging of issues with various teams to determine root cause and resolution
- Plan and conduct the analysis, inspection, design, test, and/or integration to assure the quality of large and complex projects
- Identify opportunities for test automation
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 3+ years of software testing experience (preferably manual and automation)
- Background in software testing and product knowledge in the design of tests
- Experience with QA techniques, such as black box, white box, and gray box approaches for smoke, regression, functional, user acceptance, and exploratory testing
- Experience using Git or other source code management tools
- Experience with deployments, CI/CD tools, DVCS, and comfortable with database migrations
- Test automation experience a plus with frameworks such as Selenium, Cucumber or Capybara
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Onsite gym membership - when we return to the office (Chicago office only)
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.