Software Engineer Back-End at PEAK6
We are PEAK6, a leading investment firm. You'll find us headquartered in the historic Chicago Board of Trade building, where we first opened our doors in 1997. It's been over 20 years since we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology to use in our trading business. Today, we continue to leverage our technical ingenuity and operational excellence across several investment areas, spanning early-to-mid stage growth capital, operational control, trading, and e-sports, while always proving value to the customer. Throughout the years, we've built and operated several financial technology firms, and we continue to evolve. You'll find a bit of everything here, and we're always looking to take on new endeavors.
As a back-end engineer at PEAK6 Technologies, you’ll have a big impact on the firm across several businesses. You’ll write code, help evolve and shape our architecture and frameworks, and have opportunities to take on new, hard problems.
Our environment is fast-paced and collaborative, and though our current project is written in Java and deployed to EKS, we routinely encounter and work in different languages, frameworks, and systems. We value engineers who are proficient in multiple languages because we know they can quickly learn the next one that comes up. We’ve recently written software in Java, Golang, and Python.
What you’ll do all day
- Define, develop, deploy and operate software that delivers real value to PEAK6 businesses. We often work with micro-services, managed by Kubernetes.
- Think through hard problems and solve them at all layers of the enterprise.
- Develop and maintain clean and consistent APIs for applications that are used internally and externally.
- Write self-documenting and well-tested code with an emphasis on sustainable development practices.
- Work as a part of a small, productive development team that puts an emphasis on code quality, peer reviews and strong engineering practices.
- Help grow the team by participating in interview loops, coaching and mentoring your colleagues, and improving our processes and practices.
What you need to succeed
- A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other demanding engineering degree (or equivalent work experience).
- 4 or more years of professional experience working as a part of a multi-person development team, doing code reviews, testing, CI, trunk-based development, and/or other modern software practices.
- A strong proficiency and in-depth understanding of at least one of the following core languages: Java or Go and at least one secondary language.
- Demonstrated skills in software design.
- The ability to learn new and unfamiliar technologies quickly, as required.
- Adaptability: while you enjoy establishing process and standards, you understand the need to be flexible and enjoy trying new things.
- An intuitive understanding of distributed architectures – experience with reactive architectures is a big plus.
- A DevSecOps mindset and a driving desire to deliver value through software.
All of our employees have these traits. You should, too.
Life at PEAK6
We want you to like coming to work so we work really hard to make your job fun and different from any other.
As a backend engineer at PEAK6 Technologies, you can enjoy:
- Generous medical, vision and dental plans
- Matching 401(k) programs
- Adoption assistance & family leave
- Sabbatical program
- Massage days
- Poker tournament with a grand prize of a World Series of Poker buy in
- Sports leagues
- Cornhole tournaments
- Annual PEAK6 Party
- Yoga classes
- Tuition reimbursement
- Lasik eye discount
- Philanthropy events
- Annual wellness screens and flu shots
- Bagel Fridays/expiration lunches
- Birthday gifts
- Charitable matching gift program