At Edovo, our mission is to help everyone connected to incarceration build better lives. We’ve created a secure digital platform to expand education behind bars, reduce recidivism and to support the vocational, rehabilitation and communication needs of the 2.2 million people in jails and prisons. Users have access to thousands of hours of self-guided learning materials. Upon release, our learners have the option to continue their progress on the outside. Edovo offers courses in subjects ranging from basic literacy and GED to career exploration and cognitive behavioral therapy. We’re also building tools to keep people in touch with jobs, social services, friends, and family. Our team is committed to supporting opportunities for justice-involved people.
Don’t take it just from us. Awards, publications, grants, and partnerships all around the country are recognizing the momentum and impact of Edovo. A select few: Global EdTech Startup Champion in London out of 1,000+ competitors; GIIRS Platinum Rating for social impact; MacArthur Foundation Grant Award Winner; Forbes article feature; Chicago Community Trust grant award winner; Impact Engine portfolio member; SXSW Civic Tech Innovation Pitch Competition runner-up; Chicago Innovation "Up and Comer" Award winner; and so much more.
Check out a brief picture of our program from the perspective of the people who use it.
We’re a tight-knit bunch of software developers and product owners with a passion for solving hard problems for the greater good. We’re involved in every step of the product development process with deep ownership from first ideas through to delivery. We’re seasoned Agile veterans who know the best teams pick from the many individual practices and tools instead of prescriptions. We’re unafraid of new technology and happily evaluate each on its merits to the organization and our team. That said, we prefer simple solutions and tried-and-true technology over immature bleeding edge tech.
We work full-stack and developers on the team own features end-to-end. We are heavily involved in the planning process and work closely with our stakeholders. We happily pull in a peer when we need a pair to get through a tough problem or just for a second pair of eyes. We carefully balance new feature development with investments in quality of life and efficiency for ourselves.
We believe that diversity of background and experience is key and work hard to build teams that reflect this.
General Job Responsibilities
- Lead development of one or more components of Edovo’s software ecosystem while working as part of a cross-functional team.
- Work full-stack in a rich client web application.
- Care for our systems by building automated test suites, monitoring, and alerting.
- Consider how upcoming growth will impact our systems
- Design, build, and refine our internal tooling pipeline.
Projects you'll work on
- Continually refine our learning platform to empower incarcerated individuals to find, chart, and stay on a path of personal progression.
- Build tools and portals that help our educational partners easily deliver content to the incarcerated and view analytics of how that content is used.
- Create tools that enable our internal teams and correctional staff to serve thousands of users across hundreds of facilities.
- Scaling our systems as we grow to hundreds of thousands of devices.
- 2-5 years working in modern full-stack web-application development (we use a lightweight MVC framework).
- Experience with sustainable engineering practices such as automated testing (TDD), continuous deployment, and monitoring / alerting.
- Experience working with systems serving tens of thousands of users concurrently.
- Clear written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Passion for Edovo’s mission.
Bonus points for experience with:
- Experience with Java and the JVM.
- Experience with Android application development.
- Experience with real-time monitoring and alerting (we use Sumo Logic).
- Extensive experience with DevOps best practices and tools (we use AWS, Ansible, & Terraform)
We currently have Covid-19 restrictions in place limiting travel. Once back to normal, remote employees may travel up to 1 week per quarter to the Chicago office or to visit customer sites. Non-remote employees may travel up to twice a year to visit customer sites.
- Location: Chicago, IL or Remote
- Salary: Compensation commensurate with experience
Edovo is an impact driven private company. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace and subsidized benefits for team members and their families. We hire tenacious, innovative and passionate people and give them opportunities to grow and succeed.
Teams with bold missions need diverse ideas to generate the most impact. For that reason, Edovo is committed to building diverse and inclusive work spaces. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. And yes, we believe in second chances.