Software Engineer (Data Ingestion) at Chime (Chicago, IL)
Data is fundamental to our success here at Chime. Our challenges right now include scaling our systems to keep up with a fast-growing product, architecting a fresh modern stack, and implementing infra and pipelines often from scratch, given we are a nascent team. We focus on data quality, reliability, observability, performance, and security.
The ideal candidate will be excited by the prospect of contributing to our company’s data pipelines and infrastructure and supporting our next generation of products and data initiatives that could become de facto standards in the fintech industry.
For Colorado based roles: In accordance with applicable law, this role has an annual starting salary of $164,500 plus bonus, a competitive equity package, and benefits (see below). The actual pay may be higher depending on your location, skills, qualifications, and experience.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Be a hands-on data engineer: building, scaling and optimizing ingestion and delivery pipelines
- Work with stakeholders including Infra Engineering, Analytics, Risk, Data Science / Machine Learning, and Product Engineering teams
- Work with outside vendors and write code to interact with their APIs
- Participate in key technical and design discussions with technical leads and other engineers
- Participate in technical discussion and code reviews with your team
- Contribute to the development of foundational data infrastructure for the team and company
To thrive in this role, you have:
- 2+ years of experience in designing, implementing, optimizing and operationalizing data ingestion or processing systems including data pipelines, data warehouses and enterprise wide data-flows
- Earned a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or other technical field, or industry equivalent
- Strong attention to detail
- An understanding of the tradeoffs between data infrastructure and toolsets
- Ability to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical partners
- Python, SQL, and/or other programming skills in the data space
- Experience with some industry tools, ideally at least a few of:
- Data Warehouses: Snowflake, Redshift
- Airflow or other workflow scheduler
- SQL databases, including MySQL, Postgres, RDS, etc.
- NoSQL databases and unstructured/semi-structured data (DynamoDB, Mongo)
- Common analytics vendors: e.g. Segment, Fivetran, Stitch
- AWS cloud services: EC2, RDS, IAM, S3, EMR (nice to have)
- Streaming infra: Kinesis, Kafka, Sqoop, Flume, Flink, Spark (nice to have)
- Infrastructure-as-code: Terraform (nice to have)
- Hadoop ecosystem: Hadoop, Hive, Spark (nice to have)
A little about us:
We created Chime because we believe everyone deserves financial peace of mind. By eliminating unnecessary fees and helping people grow their savings automatically, we’ve empowered millions of Americans to take control of their finances.
Chime is the largest and fastest-growing U.S. player in the challenger-banking space. Through our banking partners, we offer access to bank accounts with fee-free overdraft, provide members the chance to receive early access to their paychecks, help them improve their credit, and more!
We’ve built one of the most experienced leadership teams in Fintech and were recently valued at over $25.5B. We’ve raised over $1.7B in funding from leading investors including Sequoia Capital Global Equities, SoftBank Vision Fund 2, General Atlantic, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, DST, Coatue, Iconiq, Menlo Ventures and others.
What we offer:
- 💰 Competitive salary based on experience
- ✨ 401k match plus the usual medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
- 📝 Quarterly stipend to spruce up your home office
- 🏝 Generous vacation policy and company-wide Take Care of Yourself Days
- 🖥 Virtual events to connect with your fellow Chimers- think cooking classes, music festivals, mixology classes, paint nights etc., and delicious snack boxes, too!
- 💚 A challenging and fulfilling opportunity to join one of the most experienced teams in FinTech and help create a completely new kind of banking service
We know that great work comes from great, and inclusive, teams. At Chime, we specifically look for individuals of varying strengths, skills, backgrounds, and ideas. We believe this gives us a competitive advantage to better serve our members, and helps us all grow as Chimers and individuals.We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Chime is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. To learn more about how Chime collects and uses your personal information during the application process, please see the Chime Applicant Privacy Notice.#LI-CC1