Software Engineer, Developer Tools at Braintree
Braintree lets you move money from one place to another safely and securely. Every time you pay for an Uber ride, book a stay through Airbnb, or pay with PayPal when you check out online, you’re probably using our product. It sounds complex (and it is), but we make it so simple you can’t tell we’re there.
We solve world-scale problems and provide opportunities to match. We build diverse teams that recognize our strengths and allow us to work on our weaknesses. You bring skills and a relentless focus on the customer, and we'll provide the support you need to do the best work of your life.
Check us out: GitHub | Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | The Muse | Glassdoor
Our focus is teaming with smart engineers who are passionate about their craft and excited to build software for our unique solutions in the space.
At Braintree, developers have the chance to work on various teams and stacks. Although most of our software is written in Ruby, we believe in using the best tool for the job. For example, we’ve written data platforms in Clojure, payment gateways in Java, and contextual commerce in Python. Here’s more:
- We build what we love and we own what we build. We take great care to build the best products and we ensure its quality by running it ourselves in production.
- Communication is key to our process, and we don't want to hinder it with walls. Many teams program in pairs, which means you always have another set of eyes to help you.
- We practice test-driven development and believe that it helps us deliver simple solutions focused on real customer needs. We have no QA department – developers test, release and monitor their own code.
- We keep the team in sync with daily stand-ups and have regular retrospectives to discuss things that are going well and opportunities for improvements.
- We value unique perspectives brought by diverse backgrounds and experiences. A broad range of ideas and perspectives help us to create the best possible product.
We’re working on the next generation platform for payments. We’re charting new ground for Braintree by putting meaningful workloads in the cloud. Our goal is to onboard all of Braintree’s infrastructure onto this new platform.
The Developer Tools team’s mission is to support the next generation payments platform by increasing developer efficiency at Braintree so that we can continue to ship awesome products quickly. We do this by building a suite of tools and automation that are most useful to the developer community at Braintree. We also help define engineering excellence best practices and guidelines in close collaboration with other teams. We are currently focussed on building a highly scalable Continuous Delivery/Deployment platform for engineering teams to automate their release process. Our customers are all Braintree engineers.
We know there are endless tools in the Software Engineering and DevOps tool box and we don’t expect you to come in as an expert on everything. You will be learning a lot as you’re exposed to new tools and technologies as we work together.
- Ability and desire to work in our collaborative environment: open team room, pair programming and fluid interactions with all products and operations teams
- Focusing on building solutions utilizing an agile approach: communicating and digesting real time feedback, and working smart to build story cards as needed
- Knowledge of software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Software Development background with great analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience owning complex software systems in production (development to deployment to operations)
- Ability to decompose complex processes into understandable components
- DevOps mindset with proficiency in automating and optimizing processes
- Experience with cloud technologies like AWS, GCP, Azure etc
- Experience with Ruby, Java, Python or any modern programming language
- Experience developing automated CI/CD systems is highly desirable
- Experience with Jenkins, Kubernetes, Docker and Terraform is a plus
- Open dev days: every two weeks we spend a day working on projects that interest us and help us expand our skills and knowledge
- Participation in the technology community: we help cover travel and attendance costs for conferences, and we offer opportunities and tools for speaking.
- Check out our Careers page for more company perks.
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don't hesitate to apply.