Software Engineer (Downtown Chicago location)
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Software Engineer (Downtown Chicago location)
WHO WE ARE
Discover is more than a credit card. At its core, Discover is a software company. Our customers demand products that help them spend smarter and achieve a brighter financial future. These products are built and supported by our software engineering team. We have fun at work and live these engineering values:
- Own your impact
- Empower everyone
- Support open source methodologies
- Build quality in
- Be transparent
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our team at Discover’s Chicago office, located in the heart of River North at 350 N. Orleans St.
*** NOT ELIGIBLE FOR EMPLOYER SPONSORED NONIMMIGRANT VISA SPONSORSHIP ***
CHALLENGES YOU WILL TACKLE
You will build products in a cloud native platform that enables engineers to deliver value to our customers. You will create a new foundation that will enable new digital capabilities and reduce our time to market.
At your current job, how do you react when you hear someone say, “That’s the way we’ve always done it”? If you cringe, wince, or even bang your head on the table, then we want you on our team!
You will work in our Chicago office located in the heart of River North. You will deliver great solutions with other passionate engineers. You will repeatedly experiment, fail, and learn. You will experience rapid feedback by pairing, testing, and releasing into production – think hours and days, not weeks or months.
- Produce high quality products through the tenants of XP (extreme programming)
- Create and maintain a CI/CD pipeline to build, test, and deploy
- Embrace an API mindset to support internal and external requests
- Actively participate and contribute in team ceremonies
- Ensure solutions address security, availability, and maintainability needs
- Learn new technologies and promote the adoption of frameworks that deliver customer value
- Enable the team to be cross-functional and autonomous
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
SKILLS YOU SHOULD HAVE
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years of work experience
- Experience with languages/frameworks like Java, Spring, React, and Angular
- Passion for learning
- Strong collaborator
- Team motivator
- Servant leader
- Not eligible for employer sponsored nonimmigrant visa sponsorship
IT WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU HAVE
- Experience with framework and API design
- Studied architectural patterns at scale, including thoughtfully-designed APIs, repeatable delivery pipelines, and efficient computer engineering principles
- Utilize and/or contribute to open source projects
- Proficient across the technical stack
- Experience with Extreme Programming (XP)
- Deep knowledge and understanding of emerging trends in software engineering
- A belief that empowered individuals make great teammates
Since Discover launched in 1986, we’ve made a business of redefining the credit card industry for the better. We were first to have no annual fee, first to offer cash rewards, first to provide 24/7 customer service, and we rank #1 in customer loyalty. As a Fortune 500 company, we strive to provide our employees with an environment where they can contribute in a way that’s different from other large institutions. If you’re looking for a place to make a difference and let your voice shine through, we’d love to meet you.
Apply today at discover.com/careers.
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.