Software Engineer, Front-End
We are seeking a highly motivated, talented engineer to join our Chicago team. As part of the Software Engineering Team, you will participate in the full software development life-cycle. We expect that all engineers can work full stack to some degree, but most engineers have a primary competency. Our front-end focused engineers spend most of their time on refining requirements with the UX team and building out intuitive user interfaces in collaboration with the team.
You will do well in this role if you love making practical changes and seeing your products in use. Someone who is “service-minded” will fit in well on our team, meaning you naturally like to find pain points and figure out how to solve them. In general, you enjoy helping people and believe that a great product comes from great team collaboration. You take delight in debugging unfamiliar problems and push yourself to be growing as an engineer. You should find reward in persevering to solve customer pain points.
This role will be on the Data Acquisition team which focuses on the problem of getting customers’ data to the Lexio platform, mapping the metadata into our ontology, and running data analytics to find insights. We aim to onboard new customers in minutes, not days or weeks.
The Data Acquisition team does a wide breadth of type of work. From third-party integrations and ETL pipelines to UI/UXs that make it intuitive to configure the setup of the system. Wherever we can, we automate repeated logic or at least provide suggestions that reduce the burden of setup. The team is also responsible for understanding the semantics of new data sources, understanding how business experts use the systems, and then building the automation that allows a new data source to be synced into Lexio.
We are looking for an engineer to own the front-end challenges the team faces, but we expect engineers to work to some degree across the remit of the team. This individual will excel in the data acquisition team if they love the idea of getting into the weeds of data and finding the kernels of knowledge.
- 3-7 years of professional software development experience
- Demonstrated ability to write clean, helpfully-commented and readable code
- A drive to learn constantly with an analytical and problem-solving mindset
- Experience with HTML5, CSS (LESS/SCSS familiarity a plus), and related tools
- Strong knowledge of how web browsers interact with backend services
- Experience writing end-to-end Selenium tests or other UI integrated tests
- A desire to grow as both a back-end and front-end engineer
- Knowledge of REST: Ideal candidates will have experience building REST services as well as coding clients to them
- Experience with developing with scripting languages, such as Python
- Experience with Unix / Linux systems (e.g. Ubuntu, CentOS, RedHat, etc.)
- Familiarity with cloud computing, particularly AWS
- Experience with continuous integration systems (Jenkins, CircleCI, etc)
About Narrative Science:
Narrative Science creates software that writes stories from enterprise data to drive understanding and results. Powered by artificial intelligence, our technology automatically turns data into easy-to-understand reports, transforms statistics into stories, and converts numbers into knowledge. Narrative Science works with customers including Deloitte, MasterCard, USAA, and members of the U.S. intelligence community, empowering them to understand and act on key business metrics, make better decisions, and focus talent on higher-value tasks -- all through the power of data storytelling.