Software Engineer, Full-Stack at Narrative Science
The Business Intelligence market is undergoing a revolution rooted in the idea that not everyone is going to be a data expert, but people should still be empowered to make decisions using data. We believe data storytelling is critical to addressing this problem and Narrative Science is at the cutting edge of this movement. To support this mission, the most successful engineers at Narrative Science balance drive, resilience, humility, and creativity.
The Software Engineer role will be on our Breadth team, one of our two feature development teams at Narrative Science. This team is responsible for the components of our data storytelling product, Lexio, that connect to customer data sources, run analytics, and ensure Enterprise Ready access. The ideal candidate for this is someone who is “service-minded”, meaning you enjoy seeking out and solving user pain points. We are looking for someone who can make an impact on day one, but is also driven to grow.
Develop high-quality, maintainable, testable software according to software engineering best practices
- Participate in code reviews
- Identify, design, and develop automation and tooling to improve team efficiency
- Support products running in production and respond to incidents
- Collaborate on projects that improve the performance and usability of our product portfolio
- 1+ years of professional software development experience
- Experience with developing with scripting languages, such as Python
- A desire to grow as both a back-end and front-end engineer
- A passion for creating high-quality and performant systems
- Experience working with web technologies
- A demonstrated ability to write clean, helpfully-commented, and readable code
- A drive to learn constantly with an analytical and problem-solving mindset
- Experience writing automated tests (unit tests, integration tests, etc)
Areas for growth
Familiarity with cloud computing, particularly AWS
- Knowledge of REST: Ideal candidates will have experience building REST services as well as developing clients for them
- Experience working directly in relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL)
- Familiarity with data analysis libraries, particularly Pandas
- Experience with Unix / Linux systems (e.g. Ubuntu, CentOS, RedHat, etc.)
- Experience with continuous integration systems (Jenkins, CircleCI, etc)
If you are reading this and feeling imposter syndrome creeping in, know that this description is a landscape not a checklist. We encourage you to apply!
About the Engineering Team @ Narrative Science
The Engineering team at Narrative Science specializes in delivering high-value cloud-based solutions to customers. Specifically, we are responsible for building and innovating on an insightful and personalized data storytelling platform. We work a lot with data pipelines, analytics, natural language generation (NLG), continuous deployment tooling, and cloud architecture. Check out this blog post to learn how our engineering team uses Lexio to produce New Relic stories about our performance metrics.
Culture @ Narrative Science
Narrative Science believes that data storytelling can empower everyone to understand and take action from their data. Our mission is to build software that leverages artificial intelligence to automatically turn data into easy-to-understand reports, transforms statistics into stories, and converts numbers into knowledge.
Our core virtues (mission-driven, impactful, team first, innovative) are ingrained in everything we do, from how we develop our technology to how we interact with customers to how we hire people. Since 2020, we have embraced a remote-first approach and our team has the option to work from home or safely from our Chicago office. This flexibility will remain after COVID.
At Narrative Science, we embrace the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of our future employees, colleagues, customers, partners, and other stakeholders. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.