Software Engineer (full stack) at HealthJoy (Remote)
Come for the mission. Stay for the experience.
Let’s keep things simple: we are an unbelievably talented, hard-working, and compassionate team driving towards a mission that impacts every single one of us - even you! Healthcare benefits are complex, underutilized, and a mystery for most users. We’re removing that complexity.
Our industry-leading technology solution puts a simplified benefits experience in the hands of users, saving them time and money. Since the start of the pandemic, we’ve created a COVID-19 resource center, helped members find testing and care, and made it even simpler to get telemedicine and mental health support to employees.
HealthJoy experienced explosive growth in 2020: we raised $30M in Series C funding, earned awards for Talent Culture’s Best HR Technology Leaders and Built In Chicago’s Best Places to Work, added 55+ key team members despite going totally remote, and so much more. This year, we continue down that path of high growth and high impact.
We’re looking for a polyglot and a problem solver. A versatile engineer with experience in both backend and frontend. That said, it’s a lot of backend. We’re mostly into python and we use react and redux on the frontend.
Our team within HealthJoy is IO (Insights and Outcomes). We’re a U.S. based cross functional agile team.
Our mission: “...manage members’ healthcare data as insights to empower HealthJoy in driving better outcomes for the lives of our members, their families, and our customers.”
In other words...
- We handle large amounts of health insurance data.
- We normalize data coming to us from multiple sources.
- We care deeply about using that data to help our end users avoid frustration, be healthy, and save money.
In addition, our team imbibes a culture of understanding, learning, and continuous improvement. We’re ambitious. We’re compassionate. We laugh. We cry.
We’re hoping you share our passion for making a difference in people’s lives. We’re hoping you have an idealistic perspective on the power of a team - a collaborative group of motivated people with a shared goal and purpose.
We’re looking for someone who can help us build and maintain our Kubernetes services on AWS. Someone who has experience building and scaling microservices in the cloud. Someone who’s comfortable breaking free of the ORM sometimes. Someone who knows their way around unit tests and CI/CD pipelines.
We’re looking for someone with humility, kindness, and a sense of humor. The job isn’t always easy, but it’s nice when we can rely on each other to get through the day.
Lastly, we’re hoping that you’re curious. We’re hoping that you ask things like why are we building this? Or how does this help the end user? Or can we ask the stakeholders?
Our primary technologies include Python/Flask, React/Redux, Postgres, Redis, RabbitMQ, Kubernetes, AWS, Jenkins, and Gitlab CI/CD.
What you’ll do.
- Join team IO as a cross-functional, senior full-stack software engineer
- Work in an agile environment (we copy/pasted this)
- A mix of new development, bug-fixing, and maintenance
- A mix of new and legacy projects
- Design and build systems to ingest and normalize large amounts of data
- Collaborate on architectural decisions and best practices
These are important.
- 5+ years experience building and shipping scalable applications in Python, Go, Java, or Scala
- Experience with backend frameworks (Flask or similar)
- Experience building microservices and event-driven applications
- Experience with CI/CD; preferably Jenkins or GitLab CI/CD
- Experience with mainstream cloud providers (AWS preferred)
- Successfully deployed code that returns response code 418
- Experienced the emotional devastation of breaking production code
- Recovered from the above
Work should be meaningful and rewarding.
HealthJoy offers a robust package of employee perks and benefits, including healthcare benefits (medical, dental and vision, EAP, and telemedicine), flexible PTO plan, 401k+match, parental leave, and HSA contribution match. We also provide our employees with a remote work stipend - to ensure you can work comfortably from home, host virtual-lunch-and-learns, ‘friendship time’ pairings, virtual coffee chats/happy hours, and quarterly team activities.
The best benefit of all? We use our own product. As an employee, you can rely on HealthJoy to feel confident about your own healthcare decisions and get the most out of your unique benefits plan.
HealthJoy is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law.