SOFTWARE ENGINEER (JAVA) at Caterpillar
The Java Software Engineer will contribute to strategic enhancements in HCL Commerce of new and existing global eCommerce sites used by Caterpillar dealerships and end customers.
JOB DUTIES: The Java Software Engineer contributes to design, development, peer code review and deployment of Caterpillar’s global eCommerce sites.
- Understanding the business requirements for new features implemented within the eCommerce platform (Parts.cat.com and Shop.cat.com) and working with business and business analysts for gathering & refining business requirements and to recommend any changes which could do business impact.
- Competent to perform all programming, project management, and development assignments without close supervision; normally assigned the more complex aspects of systems work.
- Preparing the technical design documents based on the business requirements
- Design & build new features on HCL Commerce leveraging out of the box components as well as extending/customizing where necessary to meet business needs
- Works directly on complex application/technical problem identification and resolution, including responding to off-shift and weekend support calls.
- Leading Development & unit/integration testing of new features for the scrum team.
- Performing Code Reviews, Performance Assessments, Architecture discussions.
- Ensuring team’s overall code quality and velocity
- Supporting QA team for every release’s quality assurance as a representative from the development team and fixing issues that arises from testing.
- Work with the support team for addressing critical production issues in a timely fashion
- Works independently on complex systems or infrastructure components that may be used by one or more eCommerce applications or systems.
- Drives application development focused around delivering business valuable features
- Mentor and assist software engineers, providing technical assistance and direction as needed
- Maintains high standards of software quality within the team by establishing good practices and habits
- Identifies and encourage areas for growth and improvement within the team
- Guide the team to develop a structured application/interface code, new program documentation, operations documentation and user guides in a casual, flexible environment
- Communicate with end users and internal customers to help direct development, debugging, and testing of application software for accuracy, integrity, interoperability, and completeness
- Performs integrated testing and customer acceptance testing of components that requires careful planning and execution to ensure timely, quality results.
- Employee is also responsible for performing other job duties as assigned by Caterpillar management from time to time.
Leading Development & unit/integration testing of new features for the team.
Performing Code Reviews, Performance Assessments, Architecture discussions.
Ensuring team’s overall code quality & team’s velocity
Supporting QA team for every release’s quality assurance as a representative from the development team and fixing issues that arises from testing..
- Position requires a four-year degree from an accredited college or university.
- 5+ years software development experience or at least 3+ years of experience with master’s degree in computer science or related field.
- 3+ years experience in designing and developing software applications in Java or at least 2 years of experience in Java with master’s degree in computer science or related field.
Top candidates will also have:
- Experience with Websphere Application/Liberty Server or HCL Commerce platform.v8 & v9
- Strong grasp of security principles and how they apply to eCommerce applications
- Developing software applications using relational and Nosql databases. such as Oracle .
- Application architectural patterns, such as MVC, Microservices, Event-driven, etc.
- Experience designing well-defined Restful APIs
- Deploying software using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, GoCD, Azure Devops etc.
- Deploying and maintaining software using public clouds such as AWS or Azure.
- Experience with Websphere Application/Liberty Server and HCL Commerce platform.v8 & v9
- Experience designing well-defined Restful APIs
- Working within an Agile framework (ideally Scrum)
- Writing complex SQL queries with relational databases such as Oracle.
- Must demonstrate solid knowledge of computer science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms.
- Ability to work under pressure and within time constraints
- Passion for technology and an eagerness to contribute to a team-oriented environment
- Demonstrated leadership on small to medium-scale projects impacting strategic priorities
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer science or Electrical engineering or related field is required
Visa sponsorship available for eligible applicants.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .