Software Engineer - Remote at Hireology
Hireology’s technology empowers businesses to build great teams. Over the last ten years, we’ve grown from a startup to a market-leading organization with over 165 team members and built an award-winning culture that makes this company an amazing place to work. It’s with that in mind that Hireology is looking to add a Software Engineer to our team.
Hireology is based in Chicago, but our Engineering team works remotely, so you’ll be able to work from the comfort of your home. We have regular company-wide events, semi-annual team gatherings, and frequent celebrations when we hit our goals.
As a Software Engineer, you'll be responsible to:
- Help implement an easy to use, continuously deployed product
- Participate in DevOps tasks, design reviews, writing stories, coding modules, code reviews, unit testing and automated acceptance testing
- Collaborate with our other software engineers in the design, development, and maintenance of our application
- Partner closely with our product and business teams to ensure that we are delivering the best possible outcomes for our internal and external customers
- Act as a mentor for more junior developers and foster a collaborative environment
So what kind of person are we looking for in this role? We have a pretty unique culture here at Hireology, and the person who will be successful in this role will be:
- Results-Driven: Must have a proven record of driving results in high-growth companies and must have an inner drive to succeed. You will have a desire to want to grow professionally and progress in your career.
- Customer-Oriented: A successful Software Engineer has outstanding relationship capabilities, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Eager to Learn: Technology is ever-changing and as a Software Engineer you should have your pulse on what is new and emerging.
Okay, we’ve laid out what the job is - now are you qualified? Below are the minimum qualifications we’re looking for in a Senior Software Engineer. Also, we want a chance to get to know who you are and why you applied, so please include a cover letter.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. We are not able to provide Visa sponsorship
- 3+ years building high-performance scalable web applications
- Experience writing applications with Ruby and Ruby on Rails
- Excited about delivering quality and familiar with unit and acceptance testing frameworks
- Knowledgeable with implementing third-party API integrations
- Comfortable in a modern software engineering environment with distributed source code control, dev/qa/prod release cycle, extensive testing, and continuous deployment
- Experience writing applications with strongly typed languages (C / C++ / C# / Java / Golang a bonus)
- Familiar with service-oriented architecture
- Fearless about learning new technologies and technical approaches to application development
Extra credit for:
- Participating in open source projects
- Writing a blog
- Being a member of technology communities and/or user groups
Agency and/or Third Party Inquires will not be accepted
So what can you expect after you apply? You will:
- Take a brief true/false survey. Be sure to check your email (including your spam folder) after you apply.
- Have a phone conversation with someone on our Recruiting team. This is a high-level conversation about you, but also a good opportunity for you to learn more about us.
- Meet with two of our Software Engineers to talk shop. Be prepared to talk about how you approach work technically with examples of how you have done it in the past. No homework or on-the-spot assignments. We just want to nerd out a bit with you.
- Go over your career history with one of our Engineering managers. This will be an opportunity for us to get an idea of how you got to where you are, and whether where you want to go lines up with where we are going.
- Meet virtually with some more of the remote team. We want to give you some idea of the people you will be working with. We ask the serious questions here, like your favorite sandwich.
- Provide some references. We use our automated reference check system for this, so you just give us some names, they fill out a survey, and we are all set.
- Speak with a member of our leadership team. If you have made it this far, just be yourself, and everything will be fine.
Hireology is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, genetic information, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, disability status or protected veteran status, or any other category protected under the law. All employment decisions are solely based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications. We support an inclusive workplace where Hireologists excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance.