Software Engineer – Surveillance Infrastructure Developer at DRW
DRW is a technology-driven, diversified principal trading firm. We trade our own capital at our own risk, across a broad range of asset classes, instruments and strategies, in financial markets around the world. As the markets have evolved over the past 25 years, so has DRW – maximizing opportunities to include real estate, cryptoassets and venture capital. With over 1000 employees at our Chicago headquarters and offices around the world, we work together to solve complex problems, challenge consensus and deliver meaningful results. It’s a place of high expectations, deep curiosity and thoughtful collaboration.
As a Software Engineer on our Compliance technology team, you'll be part of a tight knit team of software engineers working closely with our UK and US Compliance Officers to make sure that our (incredibly important) regulatory requirements are fulfilled. You'll experiment with emerging technologies to monitor trading behaviors and deliver critical reporting and analytics. You’ll wrestle a mountain of data into human understandable insights.
We care deeply about preserving a respectful and diverse team culture. We believe in choosing the right tech for the job even if that means learning something new or reviving something old. We value business impact and outcomes over process and we make decisions based on data. We strive to adapt quickly as business priorities change.
What you’ll do in this role:
- Help to protect the firm and enable the business to rapidly embrace new opportunities by developing compliance solutions that scale
- Design data infrastructure systems to support discovery, access, transformation, and aggregation of large volumes of trading data
- Collaborate with our partner engineering teams to implement solutions that support compliance use cases
This could be a good fit if you:
- Are motivated to solve hard problems with deceptively simple solutions
- Are motivated to automate away manual or error-prone tasks for fellow engineers
- Think a lot about APIs, modular design and testing
- Love refactoring and keep trying until you find a better answer
- Enjoy making the “right way to do it” the path of least resistance
- Have built a random tool for yourself…and then peers ask for it…then other teams ask for it…
- Are fiercely proud of your project’s reliability, performance and ease of maintenance
What we need on the team:
- Extensive experience developing backend infrastructure in a modern programming language
- Experience working with large volumes of data
- Strong computer science fundamentals; a degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Experience processing and extracting insights from data at scale
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Comfort working within a globally-distributed team
- A background in some of the following a bonus:
- Functional programming
- NumPy, Pandas, Dask
- Kafka, Spark, Flink, Presto, Apache Airflow
- Postgres DB
- Financial Markets experience
- Cloud-native deployments: Docker and Kubernetes
- Splunk, Prometheus, Grafana
For more information about DRW's processing activities and our use of job applicants' data, please view our Privacy Notice at https://drw.com/privacy-notice.
California residents, please review the California Privacy Notice for information about certain legal rights at https://drw.com/california-privacy-notice.