Software Engineer (User Interface)
Engineers at VillageMD develop software to improve clinical outcomes and revolutionize how healthcare is delivered. We're in a unique position to impact everyone in primary care from independent, family-owned practices to premier health systems. We aggregate, process, and deliver rich datasets to improve the effectiveness of primary care for our doctors and patients.
The Software Engineer (User Interface) is a new position at VillageMD. In this role, you will be instrumental in r guiding our vision for enabling applications that reduce friction for clinicians instead of increasing it with unnecessary data input. As an engineer focused on user interfaces, you will be influencing every touchpoint we create including mobile, web, and voice.
We’ve built our technology by standing on the shoulders of tech giants allowing us to create a flexible, scalable architecture that’s nimble enough to handle real-time messaging and data file transfers. We use validated, open-source technologies developed at Airbnb, Amazon, and Facebook. We participate in the open-source ecosystem and OHDSI.
What are examples of work that User Interface Engineers have done at VillageMD?
- This is a new position, but Full Stack Engineers have written a variety of internal tools that our business uses to enable physicians to have an insightful, yet invisible experience with our technology
- A Full Stack has also built an event sourcing engine using Kafka that triggers automated workflows and user alerts
- Additionally, full stacks have created event processing pipelines that create micro batches to load into our data platform
What will make you successful here?
- A real passion for problem solving and learning new technology
- Vision to balance speed and maintainability in solution design
- The ability to handle multiple, concurrent projects
- Excellent ability to create and implement requirements, keep projects on track, and engage constituents
- Challenging the status quo to improve our processes and tools
- Communicate complex technical details in meaningful business context
- A low ego and humility; an ability to gain trust by doing what you say you will do
What you might do in your first year:
- Write a react app that visualizes the chronology of a patient’s clinical history
- Work with physicians to design the next generation of EMR interfaces
- Create a voice application to interact with docOS™, our operating system for primary care physicians
The following experience is relevant to us:
- 5+ years of full-time engineering experience
- Experience with a server-side language that is NOT Node (Java/Python/C#/Ruby)
- Solid background in utilizing and integrating 3rd party integrations and application libraries with strict security requirements
- Prior involvement in a project built in ReactJS or Vue
- Experience with Webpack is required
- TypeScript experience is a plus, but not required
- Knowledge and interest in mobile applications (iPhones, iPads, and Android)
- Understanding of clinical and financial healthcare data is highly preferred
- Track record of successfully executing projects with multiple partners
- BS/MS in computer science, math, engineering, or other related fields
At VillageMD, we see diversity and inclusion as a source of strength in transforming healthcare. We believe building trust and innovation are best achieved through diverse perspectives. To us, acceptance and respect are rooted in an understanding that people do not experience things in the same way, including our healthcare system. Individuals seeking employment at VillageMD are considered without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.