Software Engineer at Narrative Science
The Business Intelligence market is undergoing a revolution rooted in the idea that not everyone is going to be a data expert, but people should still be empowered to make decisions using data. We believe data storytelling is critical to addressing this problem and Narrative Science is at the cutting edge of this movement. To support this mission, the most successful engineers at Narrative Science balance drive, resilience, humility, and creativity.
This Software Engineer role will be on one of our two application development teams, Breadth or Depth, that supports our data storytelling product, Lexio. The Breadth team is responsible for the connection to customer data sources, running analytics, and ensuring Enterprise Ready access. The Depth team is focused on pulling that data in, analyzing it, determining what’s most relevant to the user, and converting it into language.
We expect all of our engineers to work full-stack to some degree, but understand that most engineers have a primary competency. You will succeed in this role if you enjoy making practical changes and seeing your products in use. Someone who is “service-minded” will excel on our team, meaning you naturally enjoy seeking out user pain points and working to resolve them. This role will have a solid mix of greenfield projects and platform improvements, along with plenty of opportunities to prototype, and build lasting features and enhancements.
- Develop high-quality, maintainable, testable software according to software engineering best practices
- Participate in code reviews
- Identify, design, and develop automation and tooling to improve team efficiency
- Support products running in production and respond to incidents
- Collaborate on projects that improve the performance and usability of our product portfolio
- 2+ years of professional software development experience
- Experience with developing with scripting languages, such as Python
- A desire to grow as both a back-end and front-end engineer
- A passion for creating high-quality and performant systems
- Experience working with web technologies
- A demonstrated ability to write clean, helpfully-commented, and readable code
- A drive to learn constantly with an analytical and problem-solving mindset
- Experience writing end-to-end Selenium tests or other integration tests
- Familiarity with cloud computing, particularly AWS
- Knowledge of REST: Ideal candidates will have experience building REST services as well as developing clients for them
- Experience with Unix / Linux systems (e.g. Ubuntu, CentOS, RedHat, etc.)
- Experience with continuous integration systems (Jenkins, CircleCI, etc)
About the Engineering Team @ Narrative Science
The Engineering team at Narrative Science specializes in delivering high-value cloud-based solutions to customers. Specifically, we are responsible for building and innovating on an insightful and personalized data storytelling platform. We work a lot with data pipelines, analytics, natural language generation (NLG), continuous deployment tooling, and cloud architecture.
Culture @ Narrative Science
Narrative Science believes that data storytelling can empower everyone to understand and take action from their data. Our mission is to build software that leverages artificial intelligence to automatically turn data into easy-to-understand reports, transforms statistics into stories, and converts numbers into knowledge.
Our core virtues (mission-driven, impactful, team first, innovative) are ingrained in everything we do, from how we develop our technology to how we interact with customers to how we hire people. Since 2020, we have embraced a remote-first approach and our team has the option to work from home or safely from our Chicago office. This flexibility will remain after COVID.
At Narrative Science, we embrace the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of our future employees, colleagues, customers, partners, and other stakeholders. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.