Software Engineer at Morningstar
We are looking for software engineers to join our Identity and Access Management (IAM) team which is serving teams across Morningstar. You will be responsible for analyzing integration requirements, as well as maintaining architectural direction, security and quality standards in your designs, implementations and documentation. You will work closely with both internal and external stakeholders across Technology, Data, Products, Sales/Service, and Research. You’ll interact daily with a number of product managers to understand our domain and create technical solutions that push us forward. We want to work with other engineers who bring knowledge and excitement about our opportunities. These positions are based in our Chicago office.
• Architect and develop highly scalable applications using REST principles.
• Enforce good Agile practices (using JIRA) including test-driven development and continuous integration.
• Apply DevOps practices in area of continuous and automated deployment.
• Analyze and remediate production issues and build instrumentation and operational readiness into the systems architecture.
• Solve investors’ problems with technology, understanding market chaos at work and crafting technically appropriate interactive experiences to communicate effectively with individual investors.
• Be passionate about quality, process, programming, and investing in general, seeing opportunities for improvement, seizing them, and then sharing your findings with others.
• Familiarity or desire to become an AWS certified developer
• Take ownership of the success of the team with a "gets things done" attitude; the ability to understand and leverage new technologies, potentially wearing many hats including business analyst, DBA, QA, and project manager.
• Help to shape product vision.
• Completed Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering
• Minimum of 3 years of experience developing software solutions
• Excellent listening, written, and verbal communication skills
• Experience with modern web UI frameworks
• Experience with Vue.js and Node.js
• Experience with modern development practices in areas of product design, requirement analysis, test driven development, and test automation.
• Ability and willingness to learn new technologies.
Nice to have
• Experience with Java, Spring Boot, and full-stack web development
• Experience with Linux, Apache, Tomcat
• Experience with Docker or other containerization platforms
• Experience with CloudFormation, Jenkins, Nexus, or other deployment/CI tools.
• Engaged in the open-source development community. Contributing back to open source is a big plus.