Software Engineer at The Marketing Store
The Marketing Store, a HAVI company, is a privately held global agency that innovates, optimizes and drives marketing promotions and supply chains of many of the best known brands in the world. When you work at The Marketing Store, you have a chance to make your mark – to be a part of work that drives value, brings a smile and keeps everyday life moving forward. Which means it’s not the size of our global footprint, but rather your personal fingerprint, that has the power to make a real difference for our customers… and to touch the lives of people both at home and around the world.
We are staffed by a senior team of classically trained marketing professionals. Having developed an insightful, strategic, brand-building process for creating advertising campaigns, we have adapted this same thinking to promotions, digital, direct, the Internet, CRM, loyalty, premiums and events. The result is unique solutions that cover the gamut of marketing channels. Our clients include McDonald’s, Nissan, Infiniti, T-Mobile and more!
The Marketing Store produces bespoke solutions for clients with complex scale and/or application needs. The Senior Software Engineer (Chicago) will be focused on building and maintaining loyalty and prizing systems for clients of The Marketing Store. This position will work on systems that are equivalent to banking/financial applications in both risk and criticality. This position will foster development of existing skills as well as push against architectural boundaries in distributed computing.
Building new modules in a distributed loyalty system
- Maintaining existing modules inside a distributed loyalty system
- Working on and building distribution algorithms for prize awards to end users
- Building and working in systems that do real time metric aggregation and reporting
- Working with and extending existing MySQL and Cassandra schemas
- Improving fault tolerance and automatic failovers inside the existing platform
- Refactoring existing code for maintainability and performance
Desired Skills & Experience
- Experience building systems using Java 8 and above features.
- 5+ years of professional development on critical backend systems in a production environment
- Familiarity with a reactive application framework such as Akka, Vert.x or Spring Reactor
- Excellent working knowledge of at least one high performance relational database such as MySQL
- Strong understanding of database schema design and access
* Desired Skills & Experience
- Understanding of the tradeoffs in the various approaches to designing concurrent software
- Experience building highly concurrent network services
- Thorough knowledge of techniques for testing distributed systems
- Experience with system profiling and performance tuning
- Understanding of JVM memory management and garbage collection tuning
- High level of comfort working on Linux from command line
- Solid understanding of cloud computing strengths and weaknesses
- Solid understanding of security and encryption practices
- Experience working with a NoSQL database
- Skill with system scripting languages such as Python or Lua for tool creation
- Experience with debugging and profiling tools
- Experience with load testing high performance distributed systems
The Marketing Store, A HAVI Company, provides comprehensive benefits offerings to all full-time employees starting on day one. Our benefits include options for medical and dental insurance, 401(k) plan with Company matching provision, profit sharing, flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, life insurance, health and wellness benefits (including discounts on products & services), employee assistance program, and disability insurance. Our Chicago office is located close the Blue & Red lines and only a few blocks from Metr