Software Engineers are responsible for developing and maintaining Neighborhoods.com, 55places.com, and our other technical products. Specific tasks include new feature development, data management and integration, enhancing our existing feature set, and designing technical solutions to complex problems. This is an excellent opportunity if you like working with newer technologies and toolsets to solve difficult problems.
Neighborhoods.com is the first online real estate resource to put the neighborhood at the center of the home search. The platform invites visitors to imagine their life in a new area by providing a local’s perspective, including detailed descriptions and resident reviews of schools, amenities, and the surrounding community. With up-to-date listings, the company offers aspiring homeowners accurate and reliable information about market changes and new homes for sale. Neighborhoods.com and its network of real estate agents are licensed and knowledgeable experts that guide users through every step of the homebuying process—from the initial search to the closing table.
What you'll be doing as a Software Engineer:
- Developing code and technical designs for existing and new products, with a strong focus on quality, performance and maintainability.
- Working in a microservice-oriented suite of applications written mostly in PHP.
- Using tools including AWS, Docker, Vagrant, Terraform and Jenkins to deploy to dynamic, scalable environments.
- Participating in our engineering culture, with an emphasis on contributing ideas, thoughts, and constructive feedback regarding the work of others on our team.
- Working with the engineering team to continually define and refine our technical practices and toolsets.
- Collaborating with designers, front-end developers, and product stakeholders to deliver technical solutions to complex problems.
- Creating and managing data integrations with large, complex third party data stores.
- Assisting with interviewing, onboarding, and training engineers as they join the team.
- Participating in code reviews, both of your code and of others.
- Knowledge of at least one object-oriented programming language (we use PHP)
- Experience with framework usage and best practices
- Understanding of common web stacks (apache, nginx, etc.)
- Experience working with relational database systems (MySQL, Postgres, etc.) and NoSQL databases.
- An interest in working with new technologies
Education and Experience:
- At least two years of hands on software engineering in a production environment.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or another analytical discipline.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The standards: insurance, 401k with match, flexible PTO, and casual dress code
- Paid parental leave
- Pre-tax commuter program
- West Loop neighborhood (easy commute and lots of food options)
- Volunteer and charity opportunities
- Cold-brew coffee on tap
- Transparent and approachable leadership and management
- Help make a difference in the lives of homeowners across the country
Neighborhoods.com is an equal opportunity employer for people from all different backgrounds. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to ethnicity, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family status, or age. We strive to foster an inclusive environment that is comfortable for everyone. We will not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind.