At Neighborhoods.com Engineering, we employ a very flat organization. We value people who are capable of owning all aspects of the product and feature life cycles. Instead of middle management, every engineer has a direct relationship with their product’s stakeholders and our Project Management Organization.
We use Lightweight Decision Records and peer review to effect change in how we build and ship software, what technologies we use, our processes, and how we organize. Any member of the organization can effect change using this system.
We strongly believe that The Best Solution can sprout from anywhere.
As a successful Software Engineer at Neighborhoods.com, you:
- expertly decompose difficult problems and effectively communicate proposed solutions to technical and non-technical teammates.
- are a public participant within the organization who actively listens to the wants and needs of stakeholders and is their technical champion.
- take immense pride in the health and performance of technical products and practices.
- take an egoless and collaborative approach to determining the The Best Solution.
- are a strong believer in our Engineering Valuesand how we work.
What you'll be doing as a Software Engineer:
- Developing new features for the technical products that you own.
- Developing new technical products from the ground up that you will own.
- Working with stakeholders to realize their wants and needs into technical solutions.
- Working with other engineers to integrate technical products you own with the ones that they do.
- Working with our Project Management Organization to collaborate on timelines.
- Getting involved with our various practices (Automated Testing, Instrumentation & Measurement, Incident Response, etc).
- Building high performance microservice HTTP APIs on top of distributed systems.
- You must be an active listener and communicator.
- You must have a day-to-day working knowledge of:
- modern relational and non-relational databases, their features, and how those features work under the hood
- massively parallel distributed concurrency
- logstream concepts and tooling
- data visualization, monitoring, and alerting concepts and tooling
- building highly distributed, eventually consistent systems
- dependency management systems
- dependency injection
- object oriented design patterns
- unit, integration, behavioral, performance, availability, stress, and load testing
- modern hardware design fundamentals
Nice to Have - experience with:
- Symfony Components
- AWS (SNS, SQS, S3, EC2, Cloudwatch, RDS, Elasticache, etc.)
- PHP 7.2+
- strict parameter and return typing
- highly optimized OpCache settings
- New Relic
- Behat, PHPUnit, JMeter
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related fields, or equivalent enterprise software engineering experience
- The standards: insurance, 401k with match, flexible PTO, and casual dress code
- Paid parental leave
- Pre-tax commuter program
- West Loop neighborhood (easy commute and lots of food options)
- Volunteer and charity opportunities
- Cold-brew coffee on tap
- Transparent and approachable leadership and management
- Help make a difference in the lives of homeowners across the country
Neighborhoods.com is the first online real estate resource to put the neighborhood at the center of the home search. The platform invites visitors to imagine their life in a new area by providing a local’s perspective, including detailed descriptions and resident reviews of schools, amenities, and the surrounding community. With up-to-date listings, the company offers aspiring homeowners accurate and reliable information about market changes and new homes for sale. Neighborhoods.com and its network of real estate agents are licensed and knowledgeable experts that guide users through every step of the homebuying process—from the initial search to the closing table.
Neighborhoods.com is an equal opportunity employer for people from all different backgrounds. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to ethnicity, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family status, or age. We strive to foster an inclusive environment that is comfortable for everyone. We will not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.