SOFTWARE ENGINEERING MANAGER, CAT DIGITAL at Caterpillar
Help drive the use of CAT Digital’s IoT and Enterprise Data Platform that enables developers to build applications for fleet management, equipment health and preventative maintenance. As Service Owner for the CAT Digital Applications Framework, you will lead teams that:
- Serve as an Open API Spec (OAS) “center of excellence,” responsible for API spec approval and deployment
- Own and maintain Caterpillar’s API Gateway (Apigee Edge framework)
- Deliver reference implementations and code libraries that showcase platform services
- Build applications used by CAT Digital operational teams and also Caterpillar Dealers
Help lead Smart Iron!
JOB DUTIES: The Software Engineering Manager provides leadership in design, development and deployment of Caterpillar’s systems and/or applications.
- Lead team(s) of high performing software engineering professionals and projects related to developing business and technical solutions
- Accountable for hiring, managing and mentoring a team or multiple teams of software engineers in delivering the common department goals.
- Lead team(s) that will build various world class software solutions
- Implementing common operating procedures to provide process functionality and the requisite infrastructure to enable effective, efficient, economical services.
- Directs implementation of hardware and software infrastructure components to maximize common process and minimize costs by efficiently controlling the infrastructure environment.
- Carefully evaluate problems and provide input into a large number of possible solutions before selecting one option.
- Follows general policies and guidelines for projects under his/her control to ensure specific, management goals are met and desired results are achieved. Impacts key quality goals including customer satisfaction, continuous improvement, and reoccurring revenue, timeliness, accuracy, efficiency, cost savings, process quality, etc.
- Responsible for all personnel issues and performance evaluation of subordinates, as well as overall employee satisfaction for the division.
- Employee is also responsible for performing other job duties as assigned by Caterpillar management from time to time.
- Position requires a four-year degree from an accredited college or university
- 12 years or more of software development experience or at least 10 years of experience with master’s degree in computer science or related field.
Top candidates will also have:
- 3 years or more of experience in public cloud technologies such as AWS or Azure.
- 2 years or more of experience with Google’s Apigee Edge API framework
- 2 years or more designing REST APIs and supporting technologies (e.g., HTTP and support Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption)
- Demonstrated knowledge of operational metrics around API usage patterns
- Demonstrated knowledge of the OpenAPI Specification Version 2.0.
- 2 years or more experience with SmartBear Swagger
- Demonstrated leadership on medium to large-scale projects impacting strategic priorities.
- Ability to cope with shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively prioritize, delegate responsibilities and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Proven experience in many of the following,
- Designing, developing, deploying and maintaining software at scale.
- Application architectural patterns, such as MVC, Microservices, Event-driven, etc.
- Deploying software using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, GoCD, Azure Devops etc.
- Working within an Agile framework (ideally Scrum or Kanban).
- Strong understanding and/or experience in many of the following,
- Test driven development and behavior driven development.
- Must demonstrate solid knowledge of computer science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms.
- Ability to work under pressure and within time constraints.
- Passion for technology and innovation.
Visa sponsorship available for eligible applicants.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here.