Software Engineering Manager at Ocient (Chicago, IL or Remote)
We are looking for an outstanding Software Engineering Manager to lead a team of 10-15 talented engineers working on our exabyte-scale distributed SQL database. Your focus will be on “people and project management” but the daily conversations within your team will delve into extremely challenging technical problems.
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science, computer engineering, or related technical field
- 8+ years of industry experience developing enterprise grade software.
- 3+ years of experience managing engineering teams and delivering high quality software for customers.
- Strong technical leadership and communication skills.
- Deep familiarity with low-level, backend coding concepts, including concurrency, synchronization primitives, CPU architecture, IO, and memory management.
- Familiarity with C++, Linux, and SQL.
At Ocient, you will:
- Manage complex software development projects, including writing project plans, tracking progress, and managing risks.
- Mentor junior and senior engineers, supporting each individual’s career goals and providing actionable performance evaluations.
- Foster an inclusive and engaging work culture.
- Lead architecture discussions.
- Lead process and systems improvements across the entire organization.
- Recruit top engineering talent.