Software Engineering Manager
How do you want to grow?
Think back to your last job. Did you trust your boss to have your back, to be looking out for you? Enova managers and leaders actively look to develop your skills, to give you more interesting projects, to help you get promoted. When we talk to our team members, they tell us that they really do believe in their managers and directors. Where else will you have monthly conversations about your career progress and how to get to your goal? We invest in our people so they can grow, whether it’s straight up the ladder or along their own unique path. This creates a culture where you can truly be seen. This is the core of Enova.
About the role:
Our Engineering Managers are committed to hiring, developing, and retaining top talent. In this role, you'll manage a team of 10+ engineers who specialize in full stack development, UI and testing, and will directly impact their long term advancement at Enova.
What you'll be doing:
- Manage delivery of your team’s projects and align their engineering practices with the entire Tech organization.
- Partner with your product counterpart to identify and deliver new products and features for our customers.
- Conduct weekly 1on1s to understand each individual’s progress, knowledge gaps, and motivators to grow their skills while building trust.
- Guide the processes, practices, and systems that give employees the tools and confidence to make decisions independently.
- Work with and through your team to properly assess the size and complexity of new initiatives to make realistic commitments.
- Voice the needs of your team or customers to proactively remove roadblocks.
We're excited about you if you have:
- 3-5 years of Software Engineering leadership experience formally managing direct reports.
- Passion for coaching, mentoring, and developing a team of engineers with diverse backgrounds and varying experience levels.
- Problem solving and project management skills, specifically the ability to estimate scope, break up problems into deliverable chunks, and pivot when requirements change.
- The understanding that Software Engineering is a service organization, delivering both cutting edge innovations, as well as basic features, and you see the value in both.
- Experience in the design and development of highly scalable and robust web applications, including experience with DBs, APIs, front & back ends, and services.
- Worked extensively in object-oriented Ruby, .NET, Python, Java, PHP or .NET.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent experience.
About Software Engineering:
Our Software Engineering team is one of the largest in Chicago. We put the “Tech” in FinTech and are accountable for developing top notch products for our customers. We are structured into full-stack Agile teams, each aligned to core business lines and services, but no team is a silo. Our collaborative environment promotes continuous learning and innovation across all groups.
We primarily code in Ruby and Go. Not Familiar? No problem! We want engineers from diverse backgrounds and have created a self-paced training program to get you up to speed during your first few weeks with us. Beyond this, our teams organize hackathons and tech talks for additional learning, monthly town halls to keep everyone ‘in the know,' affinity and advocacy groups, and even a tech pumpkin carving contest!
Enova is a FinTech company dedicated to using technology to help hard-working people get access to the credit they need. To date, we’ve helped more than 5 million around the world as we grow. Born and raised in Chicago, our philosophy is simple, “Life’s short. Work some place awesome.” Want to learn more? Just ask any of our almost 1,000 employees world-wide.
Our goal at Enova, we believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all persons and not discriminate in employment decisions by placing the most qualified person in each job, without regard to any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.