Software Engineering Manager
Signal is looking for an experienced Software Engineering Manager to guide and mentor a team working on core elements of our service-oriented platform and core distribution systems, including vendor integrations. This is both a hands-on development and managerial role.
As a technical authority, you’ll be responsible for guiding the technical decisions your team makes. You’re not a dictator; you’re an experienced advisor. As a people manager, you’ll be responsible to your awesome engineers, finding ways to advance their careers and have a great time at work. And as an engineering manager, you’ll be responsible to stakeholders outside your team: your peers in engineering management, product management, and above all, our customers.
Signal engineering teams are autonomous, and their domains range from high-performance back-end systems to the fine-grained tooling we provide our customers. We look for people who lead by example, and want the freedom to solve truly technical problems and provide team direction. We keep our teams small (3-9) to make this possible.
If you want to contribute to the creation and evolution of products that change the way an industry works, keep reading.
So, what would you be doing?
- Build, lead, and always be working to develop a team of talented, challenged and happy developers and apprentices.
- Build for scale: our platform facilitates billions of requests monthly.
- Drive requirements, write great code and stay ahead technically. Participate in code reviews, testing.
- Collaborate. You'll be working with everyone—engineering team, product management, internal stakeholders, and senior management to innovate and get stuff done.
- Work to help us be the best team we can be by promoting great architectural practices, improving process and always wanting to learn more.
- Participate in Hack Weeks, Shark Weeks, demo days. Have fun and experience life at a growing tech company.
What we need from you:
- You have engineering management experience. (This is a must. Submissions without prior managerial or tech/team lead experience cannot be considered) You love to mentor, see people go on to lead their own teams and achieve greatness.
- You are a Java expert. We use Java. This is a Hybrid Managerial/Hands-on development role, so we need people with both Java coding and management skills.
- Technical skills. You have experience working in large code bases and engineering features that are secure, scalable and highly available.
- Sense of curiosity and desire to always be learning.
- Deep experience in HTTP, REST, API design and SOA
- You are really smart and amazing but your ego doesn't require that you be the only smart and amazing person on your team.
- You are comfortable using source control (Git).
- A strong preference for open source technologies is a must.
- You care about your work and will do pretty much anything to bring structure and fun to the teams you lead.
In addition to the specifics of this job, we’re looking for Signalites that fall in love with new ideas, can’t stop learning, and are a pretty nice person on top of all of it. You understand that even the most fun kind of work is work, consider putting in the hours as an obvious necessity, and easily deal with change. You think well beyond what is asked of you, and live and breathe the minutiae of the work.
What’s in it for you:
You will work with others who value culture and treating one another like adults. To support this we offer a competitive salary/bonus with great benefits, like: unlimited PTO, 401k, health/dental/vision, STD/LTD, snacks, parental leave, Hack Weeks, great colleagues.
How to apply:
Interested? Well, send your resume via the link below. The company and team we’re building is important to us, so include a note explaining what you’ve been doing and why you’d make a great addition to our team. Be yourself. We will only respond to people who meet qualifications and on whom we develop a professional crush.
Signal is the first and only Customer Identity Solution for the enterprise. Signal’s platform offers an independent identity solution for brands that transforms the customer experience by connecting an always-active profile to customer engagements across all human, physical, and digital touchpoints.
Today, Signal’s technology runs on more than 45,000 digital properties in 158 countries. The platform facilitates billions of data requests monthly, supporting top brands around the world that generate more than $1.5 trillion in commerce, including Allstate, Audi, Crate & Barrel, JetBlue Airways, Starcom MediaVest Group, Starwood Hotels and Resorts, and many more.
Signal has been recognized with numerous awards and honors, including being named one of the fastest growing companies on the 2015, 2016, & 2017 Inc. 500 lists. Visit www.signal.co to learn more and follow Signal on LinkedIn, YouTube and Twitter.
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Information
Individuals seeking employment at Signal are considered without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.