Sr. Cassandra Site Reliability Engineer
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for part-time work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly.We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 19+ million diners food ordering experience and we are partnered with 115,000 restaurants in 2,200 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
As a Sr Cassandra Database SRE, it’s our job to provide the supporting infrastructure, automation as well as systems design knowledge to the team. You’ll be responsible for designing, building and running very large multi data center Cassandra clusters on AWS cloud. Grubhub technology stack has standardized on Apache Cassandra as the data retention technology for all the micro services based architecture. This role owns the subject matter expertise in Cassandra and how to leverage and scale efficiently. You will also be called on to impart knowledge and training to the developers and other engineers that leverage this platform on a day-to-day basis.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Extensive experience managing highly-available, large, multi-datacenter Cassandra clusters in production, in a platform/infrastructure/DBA role, preferably in an e-commerce environment.
- Experience scaling Cassandra clusters to support high read/write throughput and tuning Cassandra & the JVM for low-latency response times.
- Solid understanding of Cassandra data modeling patterns and anti-patterns; experience working closely with development teams to design & optimize database schema based on application access patterns.
- Experience scripting administrative tasks using python or shell scripts. (If you’ve written larger scripts or apps with python, even better.)
- Experience with configuration management and source control systems (Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Git, SVN).
- Solid grasp of Unix/Linux operating system management & fundamentals.
- Very good understanding of AWS
- Prior experience working with Agile methodologies.
- Must have good verbal, written, interpersonal and presentation skills.
You Should Have
- Minimum 4 years of extensive experience managing Cassandra NoSQL database
- Knowledge of NoSQL best practices & NoSQL data modeling and schema design
- Knowledge of operating interrelationships between database, business applications and operating systems.
- Monitor and tune query performance
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- PTO. It’s true, we provide you a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.