Sr. Data Engineer
About The Opportunity
As a Senior Data Engineer in the Data League, you will work closely with business stakeholders and engineering teams to cultivate a deep understanding of the ever-evolving systems, processes, and data upon which our business runs.
You will use this understanding to transform our data and big data into supporting data structures. Additionally, you will establish and own the big data infrastructure used to produce metrics, reports, dashboards, and ad hoc analyses.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Develop a deep familiarity with myriad data sources including operational databases, big data platforms, messaging frameworks, internal tools, and external integrations
- Partner with business stakeholders to understand their analytics requirements and assist in the development metrics, reports, as well as the design of schemas and data flows to enable them
- Map data from source to target, build data models to optimize downstream analysis, build and maintain data warehouses and data marts
- Take ownership of our data and improve its quality and integrity; proactively identify data quality issues at every step, coordinate the implementation of required fixes, and QA validations
- Contribute to the team-wide effort of building a big data platform (Grubhub Data Platform) using open source technologies (Spark, Hive, Presto, AWS, Azkaban, Sqoop, etc.)
- Work with minimal oversight to map out project plans, manage deliverables, and collaborate with stakeholders
You Should Have
- 5+ years’ experience analyzing and manipulating complex, large-volume data from a wide-range of production systems and data platforms
- Very strong SQL and Python skills!
- Experience with multiple data modeling techniques
- Experience with python for sourcing, manipulating, and analyzing data
- Strong quality assurance and business focus with keen attention to detail and good documentation habits
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills - the ability to communicate data concepts and issues to business users and engineers alike
Got These? Even Better:
- Familiarity with big data pipelines and flows
- Experience working with big data e.g. Hadoop/Hive/Spark
- Experience with scheduling interdependent scripts and processes (e.g. using Luigi, Airflow, Azkaban, etc.)
- Familiarity with data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, Re:Dash, etc.)
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent.
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly GrubHub/Seamless credit.
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more.
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.