Sr. DevOps Engineer, Zoro at Zoro
Title: Sr. DevOps Engineer
Reports to: Sr. Mgr, Cloud | DevOps | Security
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL or Chicago, IL
In the past eight years, Zoro has grown from a group of 6 people working out of a 2,000 square foot building, offering fewer than 100,000 products to a group of 400+ working out of a 60,000+ square foot building, offering more than 3,500,000 unique products.
The primary function of this role includes designing, building, maintaining, and monitoring reliable infrastructure, security, and pipelines in our multi-cloud environment to deliver highly available and scalable services. The Sr. DevOps Engineer will analyze the business landscape and work closely with stakeholders to understand the needs and then deliver by automating as much as possible leveraging managed cloud services, modern automation tools, and security frameworks. With this, Zoro will be able to minimize handling toil and meet security and compliance objectives in all aspects of the ecosystem.
The Sr. DevOps Engineer will serve on the on-call team as an escalation contact for service incidents, as well as, mentor other DevOps Engineers, and work closely with Software Engineers, Big Data Engineers, and Architects. The DevOps department resides within the IT Infrastructure and Operations organization.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Extensive experience engineering, deploying, and managing pipelines in an enterprise-scale environment utilizing Jenkins, CircleCI, TeamCity, or any other build automation tool.
- Mastery of the commonly used managed services in cloud-native environments (GCP, AWS, Azure) with a working knowledge of their CLIs.
- Extensive experience with programming, scripting, and infrastructure-as-code (IaC) languages to automate tasks/services (e.g. Bash, Groovy, Ansible, Terraform, CloudFormation, Python, etc.).
- Expert in container management and orchestration tools such as Kubernetes, Mesos or DCOS.
- Strong understanding of virtualization: Docker, Vagrant, VMWare, Virtualbox, etc.
- Strong knowledge of Linux operating systems (RHEL/CentOS/Debian) and their fundamentals/CLIs.
- Strong knowledge and experience with RESTFUL/SOA environments running Apache, NGINX, Node.JS, Python, Gunicorn, Django, etc.
- Expert setting up and using messaging queues such as Kafka, RabbitMQ, Redis, Pub/Sub, etc.
- Experience with setting up and maintaining transactional (PostgreSQL, MySQL) and NoSQL (Firestore, Dynamo, Mongo) databases configured for high availability and redundancy.
- Strong knowledge of IP networking, VPNs, VPCs, DNS, load balancers, security groups, and firewalls.
- Expert in data archiving, backup and disaster recovery using managed cloud services.
- Skilled with incorporating security tools, scans, and quality gates into the pipelines as well as administering and rotating secrets/keys to adhere to PCI/SOX.
- Mastery of application and network diagnostic and monitoring tools to understand the existing application and network workloads (e.g. Supervisor, Systemd, CloudWatch, Stackdriver, Zabbix).
- Experience with source control tooling, such as TFS or GIT, in a team environment.
- Be willing to take part in the production environment support rotation, escalating issues as warranted.
- Bachelor’s Degree in OMIS, MIS, CIS, CS or equivalent related experience.
- 5+ years’ experience across the entire SDLC, including CI/CD tools with configuration and release management, deployments, and troubleshooting in cloud environments.
- Strong knowledge of the DevOps/SRE culture, principles and DevOps/SRE frameworks.
- Actively participate in creating and adhering to team design and development standards.
- An enjoyment of technical challenges and eagerness to explore new approaches.
- An Agile mindset with the ability to adapt to changing priorities and requirements in addition to participating in retrospectives focused on identifying contributing causes and providing actionable solutions to prevent them from recurring.
- Fault analysis/determination and problem-solving skills are a must.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical issues and status to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Excellent communication, and documentation skills leveraging the Atlassian Stack (JIRA, Confluence).
- An understanding of production environments, including the requirement for high availability and team-oriented 24x7 support capabilities.
- Military education or experience may be considered in lieu of civilian requirements listed.
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.