Sr. DevOps Engineer at Echo Global Logistics
Echo Global Logistics is a leading provider of technology-enabled transportation management services. As a third-party logistics provider, we simplify transportation management for our clients and carriers, handling crucial tasks so they can focus on what they do best. From coast to coast, dock to dock, and across all major transportation modes, Echo connects businesses that need to ship their products with carriers who transport goods quickly, securely, and cost-effectively.
As a DevOps Engineer you will work closely with Echo's development teams to create automated systems that build, deploy, and manage our applications. You will help the development teams adopt continuous delivery practices by teaching them how to use the tools we provide in a way that works for their project. As technical problems come up, you will partner with developers to find solutions. You will also work other DevOps Engineers to refine and improve the tools we use to drive operational excellence across IT.
Essential Position Functions
- Have a passion for technology. It's what you were born to do.
- Are interested in learning about a wide variety of platforms and technologies
- Love automation
- Are a quick learner. You dive right in to the documentation and aren't afraid to try new things.
- Have a strong desire to help others and teach them how to use new tools
- Are organized, but are also comfortable working through unclear requirements
- Can easily work on projects that span multiple business units with a variety of stakeholders
- Are able to engage in healthy debate without getting personal
- Value passionate product people, technologists, go-getters who never stop seeking ways to advance existing technology and processes
- Have a high focus on career development and the runway to get you there
- Work hard and smart
- Offer competitive compensation, benefits, 401k, challenging projects, company-wide events, coworkers and leaders who will push you to get better, a sense of community not found elsewhere
- Be the ambassador of build and deployment automation by helping development teams learn to get things done more efficiently. Use tools like Jenkins and Chef to as you show them the way.
- Keep us running like a well-oiled machine by automating labor-intensive processes.
- Shape the future of IT by defining the tools and best practices that our teams will adopt.
- Be the hero we need by pitching in to troubleshoot problems and help with maintenance tasks that we haven't automated yet.
- Uncomplicate configuration management so our development teams can move fast.
- Use your scripting-ninja powers for good as you break down barriers for our teams.
- Turbocharge our applications through performance testing and tuning, from source code to circuits.
- Undergraduate Degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- 5+ years experience with scripting languages such as PowerShell, Ruby, Python, Bash, or similar
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including writing technical documentation
- Basic knowledge of IP networking, VPN's, DNS, load balancing, firewalls, etc.
- Build, deployment, and orchestration technologies (such as Docker, Kubernetes, Puppet, Chef, Salt, Ansible, Jenkins, Azure DevOps, Artifactory, Vagrant)
- Open source middleware services (such as RabbitMQ, Kafka, Redis, Elasticsearch, Consul)
- Understanding of object-oriented programming techniques (with .NET, Java, Ruby, or a similar language) throughout the software development lifecycle; including unit testing, debugging, compilation, integration, and deployment
- Virtualization platforms such as Microsoft Hyper-V or VMWare ESXi
- Familiarity with administrative tasks on Windows Server and Linux
Work environment/physical demands summary:
This job operates in an office environment and uses a computer, telephone and other
office equipment as needed to perform duties. The noise level in the work environment is typical of
that of an office with an open seating floor plan. The employee may encounter frequent interruptions throughout the work day. The employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or Vietnam era or other protected veteran.