Sr Digital Payments Architect
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
WHO WE ARE
Discover is more than a credit card. At its core, Discover is a software company. Our customers and Partners demand products/services that help them spend smarter and achieve a brighter financial future. These products/services are built and supported by our software teams. We have fun at work and live these values:
- One customer. The person using the product is who matters.
- Teams get it done. You won’t be sitting in a corner on your own – it’s a collective effort.
- Seek to understand. Listen first, ask why, and then reach a conclusion.
- Progress over perfection. Try new ideas and be comfortable with failing fast.
- No spectators. Expect to tackle tough problems and to challenge the status quo.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team at Discover’s headquarters office, located at 2500 Lake Cook Rd, Riverwoods, IL 60015.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
People don’t solely rely on physical credit/debit cards anymore. They want digital payment options. Specifically options on their phone or during secure digital checkout experiences (websites, apps, etc.). Why not join a team that is at the core of shaping the future of Payments? In this position, you will be a leader in our Digital Payments technology domain. Your talents will allow you to contribute, if not shape, our Business and Technology outcomes. Always wanted to have your change agent voice heard? We love to listen. We want you to help create and break-down product/platform efforts into successful execution-ready plans. We need your talents to help ensure our outcomes are aligning to the needs of our Customers and Partners. Most rewarding, you will work with the leading mobile payment players in the world while actively contribute to the developer experience by enhancing current solution patterns and defining new ones. All cutting edge work leveraging the latest technologies in the industry.
We embrace change and evolution, both in our staff and platforms. We are building new payment systems that allow us to leverage modern technologies (Cloud, Big Data, Open Source, Event Driven real time processing) and approaches to delivery (Scaled Agile, CI/CD, TDD + BDD) that will enable us to produce software and systems to support our business and adapt to change within the fast paced FinTech world.
- Provide specialized expertise and applied knowledge on technical aspects of our Discover Payment Services’ Digital Payment Technology solution (Discover Digital Exchange (DDX))
- Lead and mentor a team of architects responsible for shaping the landscape of Digital Payments for Discover
- Drive a culture of quality, innovation and best practice within your team
- Partner with other architects to define and continually evolve the roadmap for Discover’s Digital Payments platform.
- Ensure our solution is properly addressing scalability, security, availability, and maintainability needs
- Support initiatives and operations for our key customers/partners of DDX
- Develop software deployment architectures and corresponding estimates
- Develop proof of concepts & critical software application components
- Software quality governance and team mentoring for multiple teams
- Create and review technical requirements and translate into platform enablers
- Review business requirements and assist in translating into features/user stories
- Learn new technologies and promote the adoption of frameworks that deliver customer value
- Enable the team to be cross-functional and autonomous
- Documents design specifications and installation instructions.
- Collaborates with technology partners to select appropriate design solutions and ensure the compatibility of system components.
- Communicates with staff and clients to understand specific system requirements.
- Verifies the stability, interoperability, portability, security, and scalability of system architecture.
- Provides advice on project costs, design concepts, and design changes.
- Responsible for designing and developing solutions to application, system administration, and network issues. Performs systems management and integration functions
- Core Java or Object Orientated Programming
- Spring (Core, Spring Integration, Spring Boot)
- JSON processing and validation
- CI with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Gradle, Nexus, Chef, Ansible
- Data/Cache Technologies: Oracle, Maria, Gemfire
- Cloud/PaaS Architectures (AWS/Cloud Foundry/VM)
- Variety of scripting language
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Business, or related field
- 8+ years of experience in Technical, or other related field
- In lieu of a degree, 10+ years of experience in Technical, or other related
- 6+ years of relevant hands-on software development experience in our Tech Stack
- 4+ years of relevant hands-on solution architecture experience in our Tech Stack
- 2+ years of relevant hands-on exposure to the mobile payment architectures such as ApplePay or other secure element implementations
- Passion for learning
- Strong collaborator
- Servant leader
- Experience with framework and API design
- Studied architectural patterns at scale, including thoughtfully-designed APIs, repeatable delivery pipelines, and efficient computer engineering principles
- Utilize and/or contribute to open source projects
- Proficient across the technical stack
- Deep knowledge and understanding of emerging trends in software engineering
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!