Sr Dir, Software Engineering, Zoro
Position: Senior Director, Software Engineering
Location: Chicago and Buffalo Grove, IL
In the last eight years, Zoro has progressed from a six-person organization operating out of a 2,000 sq. foot facility and offering fewer than 100,000 products to a 420+ person organization offering more than 3 million unique products with growing offices in the northern suburbs as well as in downtown Chicago that are an escalator ride up from the METRA trains inside Ogilvie Transportation Center.
Imagine what we could do together in the next eight years!
Zoro is currently seeking a Senior Director, Software Engineering to lead a growing team of technology experts who have joined Zoro on their mission to scale toward an endless assortment of products, while embracing its award-winning culture and workplace.
The position is primarily responsible for the leadership of development, integration and management of all software used to support every facet of Zoro’s business. This includes Ecommerce, Product, Customer Service, Supply Chain, Finance, Marketing, and other business functions. Reporting to the Chief Information Officer, the role will lead teams of software engineers at every level from entry level to principal engineers and directly manage seasoned leaders.
- Partner with the CIO in providing technology vision and direction for the software supporting all business functions.
- Partner with the business function leaders to establish a technology strategy, prioritize technology initiatives, budgets and operating plans.
- Manage 6 people leaders and an extended team 45+ developers to deliver Zoro’s software solutions.
- Oversee the performance management, governance, common methodologies, processes, metrics and tools for building and delivering on all of Zoro platforms.
- Establish metrics/key performance indicators and SLAs for driving the performance of technology service delivery.
- Work with the technology leadership team to deliver enterprise-wide technology solutions and support the overall technology and business strategy.
- Stay current with trends and innovations in technology and the leadership of enterprise IT.
- Effectively manage third party technology vendors/suppliers.
- Recruit, build and nurture a best-in-class technology team in support of business function needs.
- Execute Zoro’s talent management practices including performance management and associate development to promote overall associate performance, learning and growth opportunities.
- Provide effective leadership, coaching and management to ensure the technology team evolves in alignment with technology leadership, business, customer, and market expectations.
- Promote Zoro’s cultural values in a manner resulting in a positive, team-oriented, results-focused teams.
- Develop and manage the department budget including forecasts, cost models, and headcount investments.
- Drive a supportive and collaborative working climate that results in a highly engaged workforce.
- Perform other job related functions as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience, preferably in software engineering, information systems or related disciplines.
- Experience building and leading large engineering teams that deliver cloud-based solutions at scale.
- Experience building, deploying, and managing scaled platforms using continuous delivery methodologies. K8s is a strong plus.
- 15+ years’ experience in Information Technology with experience related to application development, IT operations management, cloud infrastructure management, project management, or technology consulting.
- Substantial experience required ERP Systems, Product Information Management, Master Data Management, Logistics, Pricing, Financial systems and distribution platforms.
- Experience managing systems and processes to support SOX 404 regulations and other audit requirements
- Excellent communication, organizational skills, ability to manage multiple projects effectively.
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.