Sr Embedded Software Engineer
Founded by The Allstate Corporation in 2016, Arity is a data and analytics company focused on improving transportation. We collect and analyze enormous amounts of data, using predictive analytics to build solutions with a single goal in mind: to make transportation smarter, safer and more useful for everyone.
At the heart of that mission are the people that work here—the dreamers, doers and difference-makers that call this place home. As part of that team, your work will showcase both your intelligence and your creativity as you tackle real problems and put your talents towards transforming transportation.
That’s because at Arity, we believe work and life shouldn’t be at odds with one another. After all, we know that your unique qualities give you a unique perspective. We don’t just want you to see yourself here. We want you to be yourself here.
Our engineers are fueled by a passion to impact the future of mobility. They push the boundaries of telematics and transportation tech by creating and supporting cutting-edge products. As part of an Agile team, the Arity Sensor Development team develops cutting edge, digital consumer-facing products that help Arity capture relevant data to improve transportation safety and efficiencies. The embedded software engineering team works as part of the digital design team, and creates the embedded software that brings the hardware to life. Using a variety of languages and a top-notch technology stack, our engineers make critical advances in areas like sensor technology, enterprise engineering and platform development. Our team understands what it means to collaborate and communicate in an interconnected global team, all while having trust, transparency and empathy for the end user. Which is pretty cool, if you ask us.
The Senior Embedded Engineer works with the digital design engineers to evaluate and recommend the right software to enable the features of the product. The Senior Embedded Engineer also mentors junior engineers and helps ensure the team is using the best practices for creating embedded applications. This team also writes software to allow the hardware to be manufactured and tested to ensure that the products are being built properly and that the hardware is functional
Using common embedded software development tools such as JTAG or serial debuggers, BIST and emulators, this engineer writes the embedded software and debugs it on the hardware or development boards. He/she actively participates in the decision-making process of the team ensuring that the best appropriate technology and design is chosen to meet product needs. He/she coaches other team members, creating an environment of continuous learning, and constantly challenging and stretching the knowledge of the team.
• Use Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) and debuggers to create and debug low-level, embedded applications and drivers on micro-controllers and microprocessors.
• Understand the challenges of battery-operated and low voltage embedded devices in order to write efficient embedded applications.
• Understand and utilize the features of embedded compilers and linkers to create small and efficient applications.
• Understand software libraries and how to integrate functionality from various libraries.
• Be able to integrate and use wireless technology such as Bluetooth and WiFi in embedded applications and networking technology.
• Be intimately familiar with best embedded architecture and design methodologies including RTOS, and be able to mentor other team members.
• Support the design of the microprocessor-based circuitry (hardware/software co-design).
• Leads and participates in daily site, cross-site, and product team standups
• Participates in the effort of shaping the architecture and design of the product; actively helps the team in choosing the right technology and solving technical problems.
• Coaches the team and leads daily practices of writing software and building products
• Provides support for software products in user environments
• Leads and participates in knowledge sharing, and contributes to the overall growth of the collective knowledge of the development community.
• Bachelors degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent combination of education and technical experience
• Professional experience developing firmware/software for embedded control systems in real-time product applications
• Code skills in C/C++ languages
• Experience with GIT source code management system.
• Experience with wireless communication protocols and networking technologies.
• 5+ years of developing and implementing embedded systems.
• Hands on experience on modern embedded software development tools such as JTAG debuggers, source level debuggers, GNU compilers, and similar technologies
• Knowledge and experience in testing embedded applications and integration into larger systems.
• Experience with vehicle diagnostic systems and protocols a plus.
That’s the day-to-day, now let’s talk about the rest of it. As we mentioned, Arity was founded by The Allstate Corporation. But you’ll be working for—and at—Arity. It’s the best of both worlds. You’ll get access to the full suite of Allstate benefits and work in a fast-paced startup culture. That’s more than just free breakfasts, brain breaks and ping pong. It’s a culture that encourages you to be you.
Sound like a fit? Apply now! We can’t wait to meet you.
Heads up: when you click “apply now” you’ll be directed to the Allstate careers site. You’re still looking at an Arity job, but because we were founded by Allstate, we share the same application system.