Sr. Front-End Software Engineer
Position: Senior Front-End Engineer
Location: Chicago, IL
PowerReviews works with more than 1,000 global brands and retailers to increase conversion and improve products and the customer experience with ratings and reviews and Q&A software. Ratings and reviews solutions from PowerReviews are essential for consumers as they search and shop online and in-store, and they are proven to increase online site-wide sales up to 17%.
As a member of the PowerReviews development team, you will design and develop software to achieve high performance, high usability, and high stability within the context of our infrastructure, business practices, market pressures, and planning cycles.
Using your advanced front-end development knowledge, you will lay the foundation for durable, forward-facing front-end applications. Working with product managers, designers, and other developers, you will help guide the direction of application development and be involved in all phases of the software lifecycle - from specification to design, coding, deployment, testing, and iteration.
- Architect Front-End Applications & Frameworks
- Work with product managers and designers to realize new application interfaces
- Assist back-end developers with the design of APIs and web services
- Identify and implement processes, patterns, and tooling that enhance and accelerate development
- Write well-documented, modular code that can be changed easily in response to varying requirements
- Oversee Application Development & Assist Managing Application Lifecycles
- Work with product managers to define priorities, requirements, and releases
- Ensure code quality by leading code reviews with fellow front-end developers and implementing code standards
- Ensure application quality by writing tests and designing test plans to be executed by the QA team
- Stay abreast of the latest front-end technologies, and contribute knowledge and expertise to the technology team
Requirements & Preferred Skills
- An appreciation for semantic, accessible HTML
- Experience with CSS, including concepts such as CSS methodologies, preprocessors, responsive design, and cross-browser compatibility.
- Experience with front-end workflow automation tooling such as Gulp, NPM
- Experience working with and configuring front-end bundlers such as WebPack, Browserify, RequireJS
- Proficiency in integrating with REST APIs
- Exposure to server-side languages, such as Java, Ruby, or NodeJS
- A knack for balancing architectural decisions with the realities of our technology base and business strategies
- Strong attention to detail, good communications skills, and a positive attitude
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Our Tech Stack
At PowerReviews we use lots of open source software and use Amazon Web Services (almost) exclusively. Our current stack consists of Linux, Java, Tomcat, Nginx, PostgreSQL, MySQL, ElasticSearch, React.js, Docker, and some Ruby on Rails. In AWS we make use of EC2, DynamoDB, RDS, Redshift, Elastic Beanstalk, S3, Elasticache, (both Redis and Memcached), Elastic Map Reduce, and Cloudfront. Other stuff we use includes Sumologic, Datadog, Selenium, and Packer.