Sr Mgr, Site Reliability Engineering, Zoro
Title: Senior Manager, Site Reliability Engineering
Reports to: Director, IT Infrastructure & Operations
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL – Chicago, IL – Janesville, WI
Zoro.com is an eCommerce company that sells business supplies, equipment, and tools—but we’re much more than just a website. We’re a team of people who win and lose together (we prefer winning!). Since 2011, Zoro has been working hard to make it easy for our customers to purchase everything they need to make their businesses go. Zoro currently offers 3 million products, fast and free shipping, no-hassle returns, and exceptional customer service. We’ve grown quickly in a short time, recently surpassing 400 team members and reaching annual revenue of over $500 million. Add to that our award-winning culture—we were named a Great Place to Work for 2019-20, among other accolades—and we think Zoro is a pretty amazing place to work and grow.
Zoro was born and built in the cloud. We have never owned a physical server, and it is highly unlikely that we ever will. The Senior Manager of Site Reliability Engineering is our PaaS/IaaS/SaaS operations leader who manages the team of engineers responsible for operational integrity, availability and health for all things cloud. Our current production environment is in AWS, but we have started a migration into Google Cloud. Additionally our backend utilizes the Oracle/NetSuite PaaS for transaction processing, Informatica Cloud for product information management (PIM), with a wide variety of SaaS services called in the course of our customers’ online experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Own and improve the scalability and reliability of all Zoro systems and services in a multi-cloud environment (Google Cloud, AWS, NetSuite, Informatica Cloud, and all the SaaS services that plug into them).
- Work directly with architecture, software engineering and data engineering teams to build automated scalability and reliability into all technology initiatives up front… rather than bolting it on at ‘go live’.
- Manage the health of our PaaS/IaaS/SaaS environment with appropriate monitoring/alerting, incident response, post mortems, and problem management.
- Coordinate change management with our key technology vendor partners.
- Inspire your team and others with technical vision and customer obsession.
- Recruit, grow and retain talented SRE engineers fanatically focused on making sure our services are available when our customers want them.
- Maintain a healthy team ethos committed to Zoro’s corporate values.
- Actively participate and collaborate in a strong peer group of other technology Senior Managers.
- Articulate a clear vision for SRE at Zoro and create the best practices & processes needed to execute on that vision.
- Comprehensive knowledge of PaaS, IaaS, and Saas implementation and management solutions.
- Operational mindset.
- Rabid customer obsession.
- Superior vendor management skills.
- Critical eye informing continuous improvement & optimization of our technology and processes.
- 7-10 years combined experience in IT operations and/or enterprise software development, with 3+ years in a people leader role.
- Leadership ability to coordinate diverse technical skill sets and points of view to achieve high quality outcomes
- Ability to develop roadmaps for executing a cloud operations strategy.
- Calm and focused in high pressure incidents/events.
- Strong incident management and post mortem skills.
- Detailed understanding of business continuity planning and disaster recovery.
- Hands on experience with automation tools such as TerraForm, Digital Rebar, etc. highly desirable.
- ITIL and/or prior SRE experience highly desirable.
We share a commitment to our Zoro values – Win & Lose Together (We prefer winning!), Take Ownership, We Are Transparent, and Aspire to be Customer-Obsessed. Everything we do at Zoro is centered around delighting our customers. It's a natural extension of our company culture and how we care for each other. We believe when we act in ways that are consistent with these values, we can solve any technical challenge that lies ahead of us. As a Zoro employee, you can expect to work with smart, energetic people, learn something every day, and be valued for your perspective.
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.