Sr Mgr, Software Engineering, Zoro
Title: Sr. Manager, Engineering
Zoro's secret recipe to delight our customers has been hugely successful. In the past seven years, Zoro has grown from a group of 6 people working out of a 2,000 square foot building, offering fewer than 100,000 products to a group of 300+, offering more than 2,300,000 unique products.
We now want to scale our secret recipe which is why we need talented folks like you to help us provide a world-class customer experience by developing and delivering game-changing digital solutions.
But wait, there's more…
"The difference between being a manager and being a leader is simple. Management is a career. Leadership is a calling." - Leslie L. Kossoff, the founder and CEO of Leadership Quantified.
Our senior managers are passionate about people. They are leaders who love to learn, have no time for dogma, and are constantly challenging themselves to innovate in how they lead and grow highly talented people.
Zoro engineering is embarking on an exciting journey to build core engineering competencies that will enable us to make multiple releases a day, delighting our customers and giving them the best experience possible. Our engineering team is composed of a talented group of front-end, back-end, and full-stack engineers. We're looking for an experienced engineering manager to lead a team of these gifted engineers in unleashing their true potential.
Essential Job Functions:
- Our engineering managers have the following responsibilities:
- Manage the performance and career growth of team members.
- Perform regular one-on-ones and provide timely and constructive feedback.
- Lead your engineers using Zoro values and IT game plan tenets.
- Clear the road for the team by identifying and removing obstacles.
- Ensure Zoro's engineering standards and best practices are followed.
- Collaborate and partner with our customer experience, marketing, and other amazing teams at Zoro.
- Establish and manage the Zoro engineering internship and onboarding programs.
- Hire new engineering talent.
Zoro is a great place for developers to learn and grow, and we're looking for an engineering manager who will help them navigate beyond the day-to-day challenges and assist our developers in achieving their maximum potential. An excellent technical manager is both an advocate for the developers and a strong leader who helps us translate business strategy and roadmap items into a world-class zoro.com customer experience.
- A great communicator – As a leader in the engineering organization, you'll regularly interact with leaders and team members outside of the engineering organization. You're a fluent translator between tech and non-tech. Within the engineering organization, you will help message and translate the vision of world-class customer experiences into game changing digital solutions on Zoro.com.
- A technical leader – You've got a strong background in software development and web technologies. We don't expect you to write code, but you will be actively involved in the engineering process. You can effectively lead the efforts to create and maintain Zoro's engineering standards and best practices.
- Experience with Agile methodologies – Our teams use Agile methodologies (both Scrum and Kanban) to deliver results iteratively. You understand that Agile is a set of principles, not a fixed process, and can adapt standard methodologies to fit the needs of Zoro engineering.
- Experienced leader of engineering teams – You've done this, and you've got this! You've established a strong track record of leading successful engineering product teams and creating an environment where people enjoy doing their best work while having a blast. You understand how to attract, develop, empower, and organize awesome people into high performing teams. You know how to develop and promote technical experts and future leaders. You have their back and are passionate about their success.
We share a commitment to our Zoro values – Win & Lose Together (We prefer winning!), Take Ownership, We Are Transparent, and Aspire to be Customer-Obsessed. Everything we do at Zoro is centered around delighting our customers. It's a natural extension of our company culture and how we care for each other. We believe when we act in ways that are consistent with these values, we can solve any technical challenge the lies ahead of us. As a Zoro employee, you can expect to work with smart, energetic people, learn something every day, and be valued for your perspective.