We're building a world class team with the aim of providing polished, professional, technical support of an emerging company and product. Ocient is looking for ultimate team players who are dedicated to improving our product and customer experience with every interaction. The Ocient team consists of highly technical engineers and understanding the end-to-end development, sales, and delivery cycle is key to adding unique value to the organization.
Ocient is searching for an experienced network engineer to participate in the design and implement all aspects of networking, both for the growing Database-as-a-Service offering of our cutting-edge data analytics solutions, as well as our high-performance lab datacenter. The ideal candidate will have a broad range of networking experience and skills.
- Implement and maintain networking for existing and new datacenters as Ocient continues to grow.
- Collaborate with other architects and technical leadership to ensure a comprehensive and secure end-to-end architecture for the Database-as-a-Service offering.
- Provide critical networking expertise and effective documentation skills, while also demonstrating the ability to think beyond the network with a holistic systems and product-centric perspective.
- Maintain the existing network through incremental improvement while balancing a forward-looking vision on scalability and performance.
- Design and implement high performance 10Gbps and 100Gbps networking topologies, edge networking, and out-of-band networks, with full redundancy at all layers to ensure high availability for our offerings and services.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of network security products and processes, including firewalls, VPNs, IDS/IPS, vulnerability scanning, and penetration testing.
- Provide recommendations, designs, and guidance on office and lab networks in collaboration with IT.
- Troubleshoot and resolve network issues anywhere in the stack, from edge routing issues down to physical hardware issues.
- Automate network provisioning and configuration as much as possible to ensure consistency, using scripts or configuration management tools.
- Keep up to date on the latest networking hardware, chipsets, and networking software.
- A passion for networking and staying up-to-date with the latest technologies and trends
- 5+ years of large-scale production-level datacenter network design, implementation, maintenance, and monitoring
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot network issues across the stack
- Proven track record of working with a variety of networking products, ideally both vendor and white-box solutions
- Knowledge of and experience with all basic network technologies and protocols, including TCP/IP, UDP, IPv6, ARP, DHCP, SNMP
- Experience designing and implementing internal datacenter routing with BGP, OSPF, VXLAN EVPN, and others
- Knowledge of and experience with networking interconnects, cabling, and fiber, including UTP, SFP, QSFP, MMF, SMF, MTP/MTO
- Knowledge of and experience with advanced networking protocols, including VXLAN, EVPN, CLAG/MLAG, and others.
- Experience designing and implementing high availability edge connections with BGP, and working with ISPs to support and maintain edge connections
- Experience with networking-related software and tools, such as DNS, PXE, NAT, VPNs, and others
- Experience managing networking on Linux servers, including experience with tools like NetworkManager, netplan, iptables, FRR.
- Experience designing network monitoring plans and implementing tools for network monitoring and alerting, such as Observium, PRTG, Zabbix, and others
- Ability to work flexible hours and serve in on call rotations.
- Willingness to “roll up your sleeves” and collaborate with colleagues to get the job done.
Ideal Qualifications and Experience
- Experience writing and maintaining scripts for network automation with shell scripts or Python
- Network certifications (such as CCNA, CCIE) strongly desired
- Experience with configuration management tools like Ansible, Chef, and Puppet
- Previous experience with whitebox network equipment and related network operating systems such as Cumulus and OcNOS is a bonus