Sr. Principal Network Architect/Engineer
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Sr. Principal Network Architect/Engineer is expected to have an expert level of knowledge of network domain technologies, platforms and principles, to include: route/switch protocols, WAN/LAN, wireless networking, datacenter, high-availabilty design, Application Delivery Controller, Web Application Firewall, Domain Name Service and IP management, Data Visibility Fabric, Content Delivery Network & Denial of Service Protection, Data Analytics, WAN optimization, Network Time Protocol and Network Monitoring.
The individual should have experience with one or more network automation tools and/or programming languages. He/she undertakes complex projects requiring additional specialized technical knowledge. Makes well thought out decisions on complex or ambiguous network engineering issues. Engineers, develops and tests complex infrastructure. The individual will also be responsible for defining monitoring and trending scenarios for the operational teams to increase efficiencies. Drive complex modifications and/or upgrades to existing network infrastructure in support of evolving enterprise requirements. Is vigilant on unit cost reduction and cost containment. Establishes and communicates common goals and direction for team. Acts as a source of direction, training and guidance for less experienced team members. Monitors project schedules and unit/total costs. Provides escalation support as required. Must be able to communicate effectively with both management and technical staff. Must have strong problem solving skills under minimal direction. Typically requires ten years of experience.
- Investigation and analysis of new technologies.
- Independently analyzes business problems and operational data from one or more sources to formulate solutions of significant complexity.
- Responsible for identifying various technical alternatives and clearly defining specifications.
- Performs lab research and proof of concept work as appropriate.
- Design, Engineer platforms into production enterprise infrastructure.
- Runs medium to large enterprise infrastructure projects from requirements gathering to post implementation.
- Business Relationship / Vendor Management. Stay abreast of current vendors and products, anticipate change and have a plan in place to react to the change.
- Cost containment / Cost reduction. Understand basic financials and the costs associated with delivering technology solutions and subsequently engineer solutions that align with a financial business model.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- 10+ years in Network Design, Engineering and Programming
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience
- Expert in Cisco Nexus Datacenter Concepts / Platforms including including 2k, 5k, 7k, 9k
- Experience with application content delivery technologies such as F5 (LTM/GTM) and Citrix NetScaler
- Demonstrated experience with QoS design
- Expert working knowledge and experience with routing protocols OSPF, BGP etc.
- Expert working knowledge and experience with Spanning-Tree, HSRP, VRRP and tunneling protocols
- Demonstrated fundamental knowledge and experience with virtualized compute environments, i.e. Hypervisor, UCS, ESX
- Demonstrated advanced proficiencies and expertise in the following Datacenter technologies: FEX, VDC, VPC, Fabric-Path, VRF, OTV, LISP, VXLAN
- Ensures compliance with change control processes and adherence to standards
- Experience with managing highly complex network projects (planning, organizing and managing timelines / objectives)
- Strong verbal, written and documentation skills
If we had our preference, we would also look for:
- Experience with commercial cloud offering network Implementations (AWS), OpenStack, SDN, DevOps, Yang/Netconf and Tail-F
- Experience with one or more network automation tools and/or languages such as Python, Perl , Ruby, TCL, C, C++, Java etc.
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.