Sr. Quality Engineer at Clearcover
Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
As a Quality Engineer, you will work with the Product and Engineering teams to deeply understand our technical products, business requirements and ensure they are being built with the highest quality.
What will you do?
- Collaborate closely with the Product and Engineering teams to understand and test our products
- Guide the team in defining and refining user stories with clear acceptance criteria
- Plan and implement testing strategies for new and existing features
- Bolster and improve existing test suites to increase deployment confidence and speed
- Execute functional and non-functional tests including exploratory testing
- Review and improve our tests and coverage for our products
- Research, implement and Improve testing tools and processes for your teams
- Analyze defects to determine how to improve our development process
- Work with their teams to perform root cause analysis, identify trends and corrective actions
- Proactively assess, prevent and communicate risks
What do you have?
- 5+ years of experience testing modern web applications in an agile environment as an embedded
- 5+ years of experience testing APIs, both manually and programmatically
- Expertise in using business requirements to define test cases and testing activities from concept through implementation and deployment
- Experience in planning, organizing and implementing test data for our testing needs
- Experience in developing and maintaining automated test suites using open source frameworks
- Experience with scripting and/or object oriented languages like Ruby, Kotlin, Java etc.
- Experience with version control and CI/CD tools like Jenkins, Codeship etc.
- An instinct and understanding of where software might fail, and how to track down failures at various layers of an application stack
- Curiosity, attention to detail, customer focused mindset and passion for delivering business value through testing in a timely manner
- Excellent prioritization skills with an ability to multi-task and clear, concise communication
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or relevant work experience
Nice to haves:
- Ability to review unit and integration tests and use the information to balance holistic testing coverage and activities
- Experience working with integration and contract testing tools and frameworks such as PACT, Wiremock etc.
- Experience working with developer centric testing and monitoring tools such as Optimizely, DataDog etc.
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited vacation, we hire adults
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover 90% of your premium, 75% of your dependents and contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- We invest in your future by contributing 3% of your salary to a 401(K), even if you don't
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- and yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social