Sr Software Engineer - Fullstack
Job Title: Sr Software Engineer
Grainger is North America’s leading Maintenance Repair & Operating provider and we are the 10th largest North American E-commerce player with over 50% of our revenue coming from online transactions. Within the Enterprise Systems team we use technology to support the ever-changing and dynamic needs of a supply chain carrying 1.5 million products and an employee base of 25,000+; and we are committed to delivering technical solutions to support the business in its mission to stay atop. We deliver technology solutions across the enterprise including our call centers, branch network, sales, and our various digital channels. The team supports over 1000 applications across the network and operates in an agile environment to deliver complex solutions quickly and seamlessly. The team of 500+ is comprised of Infrastructure + Operations, Cyber Security, Technology Planning, Architecture and Engineering and are built in a way to support the dynamic and ever changing customer landscape.
Key Technologies / Framework: Java, J2EE, Ruby on Rails, RDBS, NoSQL, Lucene, SOLR
The Sr. Software Engineer is a hands-on development role with responsiblities for creating software solutions that will help Grainger grow as a business. This position is ideal for someone who is skilled and passionate about software development, is focused on helping build an inclusive engineering culture and who is passionate in creating solutions that are going to help our customers ‘Get The Job Done’. Our teams will evolve as business demands shift so we are looking for individuals that have an aptitude and versatility for quickly pivoting their knowledge base/skills and are willing to take on ever evolving and challenging work as we continue to find new and creative ways to solve issues for our customers.
• Use your talent to innovate and transform complex concepts into clean, simple solutions. Determine operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development and proposed solutions.
• Write highly maintainable and performing code with ample relevant test coverage.
• Investigate and resolve application issues, bottlenecks and inefficiencies using our Devops tools.
• Conduct and participate in code reviews that span multiple languages and applications.
• Supports and develops software engineers by providing advice, coaching, and feedback as well as conducting design sessions, assisting in code deployments and day-to-day operations
• Be an active participate in Agile Ceremonies to provide feedback and communicate issues/blockers and communicate project status
- 5+ years of software engineering preferably leveraging Object Oriented languages.
- Must be a strong TDD (Test Driven Development) advocate and practioner. Familiarity with mocking api’s is a plus.
- Full stack engineer with experience using Java Spring, writing pl/sql for relational databases, writing queries for NoSQL datastores (MongoDB, Couchbase, Couchdb, Cassandra) and/or writing queries and filters for search engines such as SOLR and/or ElasticSearch.
- Experience with securing software applications through software and configuration using established protocols and guidelines such as OWASP.
- Experience with navigating UNIX filesystem and using UNIX based tools such as VI editor.
- Familiarity with configuring and running containers (Docker and/or rkt), container orchestration (Kubernetes and/or Apache Mesos).
- Familiarity leveraging several devops tools such as Splunk, Dyntrace, Sosta, Datadog, Tealeaf, etc.
- Familiarity with managing application in public cloud offerings such as AWS (Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud and/or Microsoft Azure).
“Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status.”