At Collective Health, we're modernizing employer-sponsored health insurance and building the first healthcare solution that people actually look forward to interacting with. We believe that with a modern software stack, a small, dedicated team can replace entrenched 5000-person incumbents.
As an engineering team, we believe good code is easy to read and understand. We expect all of our engineers to continually teach as well as learn. Our company as a whole places a high priority on the overall member experience, including customer support (you shouldn't have to wait on hold, ever), legal language (you shouldn't have to be a lawyer to read your health plan), and intuitive web design.
We've got a ton of interesting problems to solve around distributed systems, data pipelines, data analytics and predictions, system reliability, security, privacy, and more. If you're passionate about tackling hard problems while making a real difference in the world, we'd love to talk!
As a Staff Backend Engineer, you will:
- Drive the continued design and development of mission critical backend systems
- Work on a multi-year greenfield project to improve the efficiency and quality of benefit plan design and management
- Mentor and guide other members of the team
- Help establish best practices and a healthy technical team culture
Are you someone that:
- Enjoys building well-engineered systems
- Has 8+ years of software engineering work experience
- Has expert knowledge of Java (or a similar language like .Net)
- Communicates clearly up, down and across teams
- Balances getting things done with making things perfect
- Takes pride in mentoring other developers
- Loves working with a team of awesome, collaborative co-workers
- Likes to be involved in the decision making process, taking into account the needs of our customers as well as our company
Our backend services follow microservices architecture written using Java and Spring; we use cloud services (AWS). Collective Health stores data in a set of PostgreSQL databases and utilizes Python & Spark for large scale data workloads. We have both Angular/template-based model and React-driven architecture for our front end.
Collective Health is a technology company simplifying employer healthcare to make health insurance work for everyone. With more than 200,000 members and over 45 enterprise clients—including Pinterest, Red Bull, Restoration Hardware, Activision Blizzard, and more—our technical and customer experience teams are reinventing the healthcare experience for forward-thinking employers and their people across the U.S.
Collective Health is headquartered in San Francisco, CA, with additional offices in Chicago, IL, and Lehi, UT. Founded in 2013, Collective Health is backed by the SoftBank Vision Fund, DFJ Growth, PSP Investments, NEA, GV, G Squared, Founders Fund, Maverick Ventures, Mubadala Ventures, Sun Life, and other leading investors. For more information, visit us at https://www.collectivehealth.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.