Staff Engineer, Android at SpotHero
SpotHero is looking for an Android Staff Engineer to own systems across our engineering department that drive business objectives. You will collaborate with management on vision setting, technology direction, architecture, and best practices. The Staff Engineer will contribute to codebase following set standards and successfully completing stories and have the ability to provide support for any part of the codebase; also able to understand the codebase with minimal direction from others. You will be expected to find the balance between individual contributions and supporting the rest of your team that works best for you, and you should expect regular fluctuations of the amount of time you dedicate to each.
You will have ownership of code standards, unit and integration testing practices, and technical roadmap. Work with Product Management team to ensure requirements are defined correctly. Ability to successfully architect complex systems and collaborate with more junior engineers to ensure proper implementation of design. You will be an educator (not a dictator) who can take the complex and explain it terms that all audiences understand. Your greatest work will be through others, as you help people level up their technical systems.
Who we are: SpotHero is one of Chicago’s hottest tech companies! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app or website to reserve a convenient, affordable parking on-the-go or in advance, and parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
Our Android Stack is: Kotlin and XML (standard for Android apps) using MVI architecture (still working on refactoring old views), our database layer is built in Realm. We also make heavy use of Dagger, RxJava, Espresso (testing). Network stack uses Retrofit.
Our Web Stack is: Monolith using Django/Python, the Frontend is React. We are starting to extract specific domains to Services currently using Java, Kotlin and Go. Our Database is Postgres and Redis for caching. We also use Docker, Kubernetes and Kafka.
What kind of person are you?
- Curious and a hungry learner
- A Problem Solver
- Ability to collaborate
- You own your work
- You are a technical educator not a technical dictator
What you will be doing:
- Identify, design, develop, test, and release high quality functionality as efficiently as possible.
- You will be an educator, mentor and coach. People will come to you for advice because you are approachable and you are able to convey your points in a language that they understand.
- Build and maintain tools and services related to product/engineering squad’s goals.
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the team to deliver quality products with a focus on speed, security, and analytics.
- Independently identify areas for improvement and innovation within the squad ecosystem, and lead the charge on making those changes.
- Be a key hands-on contributor to the design and implementation of new products and features through the entire stack.
- Ownership of codebase, maintaining it and ensuring it runs consistently.
- Collaborate with all senior and staff level engineers to explore options and help define architecture and design across the engineering organization.
- Ability to move between squads to devise architecture and assist projects in moving forward.
- Train engineers to work with new architecture.
- Function as a leader within the engineering department, providing mentoring and training to all levels of engineering team members.
- Function as an internal expert for technology speciality and educate team on new and changing technologies.
- Be an industry thought leader, participating in public speaking events and meetups to showcase SpotHero as a leader in technology.
- Secure and safeguard data to preserve its integrity, reliability, and availability and ensure appropriate access levels are maintained.
The following experience is relevant to us:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent with 9+ years experience as a software engineer across multiple environments.
- 6+ years of experience developing Android applications (point the plural)
- Experience developing, releasing, and maintaining native consumer Android apps (point us to your work in the App Store, if you can!).
- Experience developing with a wide range of Android APIs and Architectures
- Be able to advise and influence the APIs that the Android Apps will consume. Working with backend engineers
- Knowledge of Kotlin and Java, since you will be working with both.
- You know the Material Design and you are work partners, and an ability to converse intelligently about them with junior developers and the design team.
- Multiple projects that demonstrate prowess in designing, implementing, and operating large scale, high throughput, low latency distributed systems and/or client facing applications.
- Demonstrated leadership and mentorship skills. You are Technical educator not a technical dictator
- Presentation & Public Speaking Skills
Bonus points if you have:
- iOS development experience
- Insightful opinions about developing for Android
- Experience developing location-aware Android applications
- Experience developing for AndroidAuto
- Experience developing App extensions or Voice controlled Apps
- Experience in the care and feeding of Continuous Integration servers
- Experience with open source contributions to major projects is a plus.
- Ability to work in all areas of the tech stack, including infrastructure through the application layer to client libraries.
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits – We cover 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, and offer company sponsored Life Insurance.
- Flexible PTO policy, generous parental leave, and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Fun perks like snacks, catered lunches, happy hours, wellness programs, and SpotHero swag.
- Annual parking stipend (we're a parking company!).
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized as the Startup of the Year by Built in Chicago, a Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.