Staff Software Engineer, Backend (Checkout) at Affirm
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
The Checkout team is responsible for the entirety of every user’s journey when they buy with Affirm. Our goal is to build a flexible, robust platform to provide the best possible purchasing experience be it online or in-store.
We are seeking a Staff Software Engineer to build out financial products and features providing new levels of accessibility and flexibility to our users. You will architect, design, and implement new API’s and microservice interfaces to manage every users’ transaction with Affirm. You will also use your technical skillset to find opportunities to improve the performance and reliability of the systems that drive the user journey through purchasing with Affirm.
We are experiencing explosive growth with millions of customers across thousands of merchants in-store and online, and your technical leadership will be a key enabler of that growth. Come join us as we build a beloved, lasting financial services brand predicated on honesty and trust. It’s going to be an amazing ride!
What you'll do
- Technical strategy for broad or complex requirements with insightful and forward-looking approaches that go beyond the direct team and solve large open-ended problems
- Participating in the strategic development of methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for projects and programs
- Actively owning checkout systems and defining their long-term health, while also improving the health of surrounding systems
- Collaborating with engineers within our team and across the organization to build the next generation of the checkout platform
- Improving engineering standards, tooling, and processes throughout the organization
What we look for
- 7+ years software engineering experience
- You have a proven track record of developing, testing, and shipping high-quality software at scale
- You enjoy leading technical architecture discussions and drive technical decisions within your team and beyond
- You communicate clearly both verbally and in writing. If anything, you trend towards over-communication
- You mentor other engineers in a technical capacity through sharing your learnings and providing feedback that will help the team grow
- You are empathetic to the user experience and thoughtful about what we can do to make it better
Tech You Will Use
Location - Remote U.S.
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.