Staff Software Engineer (Core Team) at PEAK6
We are PEAK6, a leading investment firm. You'll find us headquartered in the historic Chicago Board of Trade building, where we first opened our doors in 1997. It's been over 20 years since we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology to use in our trading business. Today, we continue to leverage our technical ingenuity and operational excellence across several investment areas, spanning early-to-mid stage growth capital, operational control, trading, and e-sports, while always proving value to the customer. Throughout the years, we've built and operated several financial technology firms, and we continue to evolve. You'll find a bit of everything here, and we're always looking to take on new endeavors.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Core team, a regular day may start with reviewing Grafana charts of system and application metrics, tweaking configurations on market data feed handlers, using our Kubernetes infrastructure to horizontally scale a key service, or collaborating with our infrastructure team on a new, cloud native service to introduce to our stack. Additionally, Staff Software Engineers regularly participate in and contribute to regular architecture cadences, drive discussions and decisions on coding standards and practices, mentor other engineers and help reinforce and improve PEAK6’s engineering culture.
On the Core team, you’ll be responsible for:
- Consuming and distributing high frequency market data feeds
- Building tools and practices to allow all teams to effectively manage their services on a cloud native stack
- Advocate and drive our continuous integration and delivery processes
- Creating improvements in stability, performance, and scalability across major business-critical systems.
- Optimizing and monitoring critical path performance.
- Troubleshooting production issues quickly and efficiently.
You’ll gain loads of experience in this role but before you do, you should have:
- Proficiency in Go or Java. C++ and Python are nice to have!
- Experience with Cloud Native technologies, especially Docker and Kubernetes
- At least 4 years of experience building distributed systems
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related.
- 8+ years of software engineering experience, preferably in the trading or finance industry.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with high attention to detail.
- Familiarity with Linux platform.
- Effective communication skills.
- Passion for mentoring engineers and building software as part of a team
All of our developers have these traits. You should, too.
Motivation Collaboration Curiosity
Integrity Adaptability Ingenuity
Life at PEAK6
We want you to like coming to work so we work really hard to make your job fun and different from any other.
As a PEAK6 Staff Software Engineer, you can enjoy:
- Generous medical, vision and dental plans
- Matching 401(k) programs
- Adoption assistance & family leave
- Sabbatical program
- Massage days
- Poker tournament with a grand prize of a World Series of Poker buy in
- Sports leagues
- Cornhole tournaments
- Annual PEAK6 Party
- Yoga classes
- Tuition reimbursement
- Lasik eye discount
- Philanthropy events
- Annual wellness screens and flu shots
- Bagel Fridays/expiration lunches
- Birthday gifts
- Charitable matching gift program