Support Engineer at Kin Insurance
Kin is the home insurance company For Every New Normal. Because of our proprietary technology and direct-to-consumer model, we provide affordable pricing without compromising coverage, even in areas most impacted by climate change. We’re proud to offer fully digital homeowners insurance with an elegant user experience, accurate pricing, and fast, high-quality claims service.
We are also proud to be recognized as Built In’s 2021 Best Midsize Companies to Work For in Chicago and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in America. We are growing super fast, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to help lead the way.
So, what’s the role?
The Support Engineer will be central to our technical support team, primarily responsible for triaging and troubleshooting issues from our internal teams, monitoring production applications, and ensuring issues are resolved in a timely manner. This person will collaborate closely with software development and product management teams, as well as stakeholders to ensure adherence to Kin’s strategic goals while managing risk.
A day in the life could include:
- Monitoring our production applications and external services for uptime
- Maintain production monitoring tooling/alerts
- Triaging production support issues from our internal teams
- Troubleshooting issues, determining root cause, and applying fixes as needed
- Working through backlog of production support tickets and updating code as needed
- Balancing stakeholders and communicating with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Tracking issues to determine trends and making recommendations for application improvements or training opportunities
- Identifying incidents and their severity while communicating with stakeholders through resolution
- Holding post mortems and creating relevant documentation
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 2+ years of software support experience
- Background in software engineering
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Experience working with AWS cloud or similar services
- Experience with ticketing system such as JIRA or Github issues
- Experience using Git or other source code management tools
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Remote/hybrid work environment and flexible work hours
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Onsite gym membership - when we return to the office (Chicago office only)
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.