Trading Systems Engineer
DRW is a technology-driven, diversified principal trading firm. We trade our own capital at our own risk, across a broad range of asset classes, instruments and strategies, in financial markets around the world. As the markets have evolved over the past 25 years, so has DRW – maximizing opportunities to include real estate, cryptoassets and venture capital. With over 1,000 employees at our Chicago headquarters and offices around the world, we work together to solve complex problems, challenge consensus and deliver meaningful results. It’s a place of high expectations, deep curiosity and thoughtful collaboration.
Our Application Support team provides mission critical support for our core proprietary trading systems. They manage a wide variety of technical support and engineering functions, including application support in testing and production environments, software deployment and configuration and system monitoring. It’s a fast-paced, dynamic environment that provides new technical challenges constantly and demands that you learn new things daily.
What you’ll do in this role:
- Work as part of a team to establish best-in-class support processes to ensure flawless operation of production trading technologies, flawless software deployment and configuration processes, and proactive monitoring and support to anticipate and avoid issues before they occur
- Ensure maximum trading system availability to avoid missing any key trading opportunities
- Provide support for various trading groups’ production systems across a variety of asset classes and geographic locations
- Develop proprietary process automation and monitoring tools and leverage third-party technologies as appropriate
- Provide support for proprietary trading systems deployed across a multi-platform production environment (primarily Linux with a little Windows)
- Troubleshoot trading system production incidents resulting from internal (proprietary software / systems) or external factors (markets, data feeds, telecommunication lines)
- Automate software configuration and rollout procedures to reduce manual configuration errors and strive for flawless change management
- Support core market connectivity and correspond with exchanges regarding trade order activity, connectivity, and other related technical support issues
- Work interactively with DBAs, core development teams, back office systems, QA Engineers, Infrastructure and management teams when deploying production releases and troubleshooting technical issues
What’s needed in this role:
- Superior troubleshooting skills with respect to trading systems and their interaction with the Linux operating system and network communications
- Prior experience supporting high performance applications, process monitoring, and troubleshooting
- 5+ years of prior experience working with FIX protocol and alternative exchange protocols
- 5+ years of script development experience, preferably 5+ years of experience with Python or Perl
- 5+ years of SQL experience including queries/updates/table creation/basic database maintenance
- 5+ years of experience in Linux & Windows platform support
- 5+ years of experience supporting electronic trading systems; prior experience at proprietary trading firm preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of network communications, including use of multicast networking
- Flexibility to work a rotating shift schedule as needs dictate
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent degree
- Self-motivation and intellectual curiosity; desire to continually self-improve and seek continual improvements in production support function
- High level of ownership and accountability, reliability, and strong follow through
- Ability to handle pressure and time constraints with composure
- Strong organizational skills, including ability to effectively plan and prioritize
For more information about DRW's processing activities and our use of job applicants' data, please view our Privacy Notice at https://drw.com/privacy-notice.
California residents, please review the California Privacy Notice for information about certain legal rights at https://drw.com/california-privacy-notice.